Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much security is too much?

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello all. Me again. Since being hacked on my yahoo mail I have switched to gmail. However I am still getting messages that say someone has logged on using my ip address in a different town. I have been getting these for a year or so. Followed instructions re; security. Gave up as that didnt stop them. Maybe only one every couple months. But lately I have noticed on my facebook people accepting my request for friends which I never sent, besides not knowing them at all. Just wondering if this is related at all. I have turned my computer off for the night as read that will change ip address. Also read there is an internal ip address as well as external ip being the internet server. I have avast as well as Malwarebytes. Is there more security I can add without doing an overload? I still feel since I was hacked my computer is not secure. Any advice? Thank you. Lynda (wow just realized I can get back in here with my old name and password, something I couldnt do after being hacked, cool)

Advertisements

phyber

phyber

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would recommend keeping the following for security on your computer:

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank for your prompt reply. I will be adding those.

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hello islandcat,
From what you have said, I also suspect your computer being infected with a Trojan virus or similar programs that lets hackers or intruders access to your PC files, passwords and other sensitive information. While doing a full drive sweep along with a fresh install of the OS would be the fastest assured fix, I recommend you to go to this section where experts will assist you in scanning and removing any malware on your PC.

And about the PC security part, I think Avast+Malwarebytes is a good enough combo to keep you safe from most common malware threats out there. And no, I wouldn't recommend installing any more antivirus programs since it might cause lag on your PC and conflicts between the antivirus programs. Just be careful while browsing the internet and downloading files and this should do the trick 90% of the time. And the rest, the antivirus programs will handle. Good luck!

Edited by TheBigHelper, 02 August 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Why not let our malware gurus look at your computer, see if they find anything wrong?

Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

ellisco

ellisco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
You say you are using an online email service. Sorry to report that their security is less than perfect. I'd recommend that you download an email client, like Thunderbird, or one of the other free programs, and get your address book behind the firewall of your computer's security program. I am assuming that you do have a real-time security program installed and current.
Keep us posted