Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Optical Drives

• Please log in to reply

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi everybody :

I'm doing my first build...so I've got a number of questions. One is......has anyone heard parts vendors touting the idea of a 5.75" SATA Drive fitting into a 5.25" drive bay ? I hope your response is..."impossible". Because I agree with you. Plenty of the computer parts vendor sites are now selling SATA Optical Drives with the width of either 5.7" or 5.75" LG's home site is stating this. And TigerDirect is another. I know it's physically impossible....but these vendors are of the mind that it WILL work.

stanulg1952

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I can see what you mean by studying the specifications here....

http://www.shoppinge...H24NS95.AYBU10B

If you have a standard ATX case then go with the normal 5.25" optical drive as I see no advantage for the larger size.

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Wolfeymole :

What I'm getting at is, the size difference. So-to-speak....a 6" box will not fit inside a 5" box. I'm amazed at the mentality of these sales people. Apparently, they don't realize what they're saying. Besides, numerous site selling internal optical drives list them as either 5.7" or 5.75". LG's Home site..for one. And TigerDirect is another. The last Optical Drive that I replaced (because it died) was 5.25". It's an LG. Also, what I'm getting at....5.25" is THE standard size for ATX. ALL PC Case bays are 5.25" wide.

stanulg1952

Edited by stanulg1952, 02 August 2013 - 11:42 AM.