Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I upgrade my videocard?

• Please log in to reply

G-Nava

G-Nava

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello forum. Less than a year ago I bought myself this card; however, I have played video games very little because I believe my CPU, or even my whole system, is causing a bottleneck.
I'm currently running an Athlon II X3 on my computer, which I plan to sell, and build a new one this year if I can. I was originally planning to install the card in my next computer and in the future buy another one to run them on SLI; however, I don't expect this to happen at least until next year.

Given that the card is a little bit old already, would that be a good idea or should I upgrade everything and sell the card?
Please take into account that I originally bought the card for about 160 because it was on sale. I would prefer not to expend more than that if I had to upgrade.
In the case that I had to upgrade, would the fact that I played games very little make the resale value less affected by depreciation?

Thanks in advance to everyone. Please excuse my English if it has any mistakes.

P.S. Newegg has more details on the card, if needed. Link.

Edited by G-Nava, 02 August 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello G-Nava

Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply :(

Can you post a Speccy url so we can take a look at your present hardware http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Speccy cannot tell us your PSU details so can you provide the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

G-Nava

G-Nava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello G-Nava

Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply :(

Can you post a Speccy url so we can take a look at your present hardware http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Speccy cannot tell us your PSU details so can you provide the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Hello again :P
Unfortunately, I don't have access to my computer right now; however I don't plan on keeping it much longer.
What I really meant to ask was if should I buy another GTX 560 to run them on SLI or sell my card and buy a newer one like the EVGA GTX 760 SC

Probably the only part that I'm going to keep from my old computer is going to be the PSU, which is this one
http://www.tigerdire...Id=1483&site=cp
But I'm not sure if it could handle two 560's in SLI

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello again G-Nava :thumbsup:

I have recently purchased the GTX 760 SC for a new build which I have not had the time to build yet due to being so busy elsewhere, I will let you know how it performs in the next couple of days :thumbsup:

Two cards is not always better than a single good card + your present PSU could be underpowered with two 560s, a single card requires a PSU with a minimum of a 450W PSU for the system with 150W of that being for the card itself, add a second card and you are up to 600W which leaves no headroom for any additional hardware that you may have added such as an SSD or more HDDs etc, I would recommend a Minimum of a 650 bronze rated Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic PSU for an Sli set up with two GTX 560s even with no additional hardware being added.

A topic regarding the same question + some very good PSU guidance Here and some Sli information