Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer came with windows 7 and 8 - How do I use windows 8?

• Please log in to reply

Holls

Holls

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone! I'm really not tech savvy, so I don't know what all I'm doing. I just got a hp ProBook 4540s that apparently I can use either Windows 7 or Windows 8 on. However, the problem is, I don't know how to use Windows 8! Windows 7 must be the "default" I have some kind of disks for both things, but I don't know what they do! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Additionally, what other things should I make sure to do to my new computer? My exboyfriend always handled all my computer stuff, so I have no idea what I'm doing, any help,tips,advice would be great!

xoxo,

Holls

PS: If you need any additional information, just ask!

Advertisements

Holls

Holls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh, by the way the only things I have installed on it is Microsoft 2010 and 2013 - I think. Not sure. 0.o

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hello Holls,
:welcome: Are you referring to a screen(black probably) that asks you to select either of Windows 7 or 8 during the startup? If so, it most likely is due to multi-boot on your system. In that case, follow these steps to make Windows 7 your default OS.

• Login to Windows 7.
  • Right click on Computer and select Properties.
  • Click Advanced System links in the left blue pane.
  • In the new window, select the Advanced tab.
  • Click settings under the Startup and Recovery section.
  • In the new window, select Windows 7 as the default operating system by selecting it from the drop down list.
  • Click OK.

Now restart your computer and see whether it's booting up automatically to Windows 7. Good luck :thumbsup:

Holls

Holls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't think my computer gives me an option at start up! I think it automatically boots as windows 7. I'm wanting to use Windows 8! :)

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Oops, my bad Holls, I read that wrong :blush: Can you try the same steps and select Windows 8 in the final step and tell me whether it worked for you?

Holls

Holls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I looked and it didn't have windows 8 as an option! Do I have to install it with one of those disks they gave me?

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Oh yes. Forgive me for being a bad reader but yes, if you have the disk, you must use it and install it on your laptop. Make sure you choose the option to keep your files, settings and apps during the installation so that you do not lose anything important.