Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstall disc

• Please log in to reply

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
so a few years ago I needed a new motherboard Dell Studio 17 laptop, I also got a new hard drive and changed the OS from Vista to 7 Home Premium. I want to return everything to factory settings but I guess when I got the new hard drive it didn't come with the recovery partition or it never had one to begin with. what I want to know is if I use the reinstall disc will I have to enter the CoA again and if so will it work. I know I will lose anything that isn't backed up and I will need to reinstall drivers and updates. I know how Microsoft is with CoA's and I just want to know if I will be able to use the laptop again without shelling out more money for a new CoA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hawkzilla, 02 August 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
With this laptop originally having Vista on it, the CoA sticker would be for Vista which obviously would not work with a Windows 7 install.

The question now is what type of Windows 7 disk is this, for example an unbranded OEM or Retail?

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
when I picked up the pc from the shop the guy gave me the reinstall disc. It looks to me exactly like one you would get from dell. It does say something about only being sold with new Dell pcs or something of that nature. And it does have some type of code on the back flap of the envelope the disc came in. I am at work but if needed when I get home I can take a picture of the disc and code and upload it here.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok so in theory the guy in the shop installed Windows 7 for you yes?

Does the disk look like this irrespective that it's a 64 bit version?

Posted Image

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yes, exactly except on mine in about the 7 to 8 o'clock area it says " only to be sold with new Dell PC's". Or something close to that.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Mmmm

Well let's have a look at the pictures for the disk you have and the number that is on the envelope when you get home Hawk, how's that mate?

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You are a rockstar sir.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome mate. :thumbsup:

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
here are the pics, and I see now that the back of the envelope says the CoA is on the side of the PC, which would be the Vista code. fml

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM00131.jpg
  • CAM00132.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Typically a Dell re-installation DVD will not require you to enter the installation key.

To be safe, record the existing key. This Visual Basic script will show it to you:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")

ProductName = "Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey

If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
Save ProductID
End if

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
i = 24
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
X = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
Cur = Cur Mod 24
X = X -1
Loop While X >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
Last = Cur
Loop While i >= 0
If (isWin8 = 1) Then
keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
insert = "N"
KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
End If
a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
End Function

Function Save(Data)
Const ForWRITING = 2
Const asASCII = 0
Dim fso, f, fName, ts
fName = "Windows Key.txt"
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
fso.CreateTextFile fName
Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
f.Writeline Data
f.Close
End Function

Copy everything in red and paste in a notepad window. Save the file to your Desktop as "ShowKey.vbs" (include the double quotes). Double click on it to run it then click the Save button. A Windows Key.txt file will be created on your Desktop. Print it or save it somewhere not on your computer. Then if the reinstall asks, you can try that key.

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok so I followed the instructions, saved the notepad file to desktop and it has the showkey icon. I double click that, it opens the noepad, I click file and save and that's it, no other file shows up on the desktop. what could I be doing wrong? I am on the space coast as well.

edit: I got it thanks. I right clicked the showkey file icon on the desktop and opened it with command prompt. and the product id and installed key popped up on my screen.

one or two more things. so do I put the disc in the cd/dvd drive and restart system or just put it in and go from there. also how long does the reinstall usually take and after the reinstall how hard or easy is it to get all the driver updates?

thanks for all the help guys, you rock.

Edited by hawkzilla, 03 August 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just a couple of questions Hawk if I may please.

The Dell Studio originally had Vista on as we know so when the motherboard and hard drive was replaced and windows 7 installed instead was this work done by the guy in the shop who also provided the Dell reinstallation disk?