Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find servers

• Please log in to reply

Albert

Albert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Although I can still browse with dial up fine, my computer will not allow me to effectively commuicate with other computers. The most common message is "can't find the other server". Anytime I try to: A. Download presentation files (egs. Real Video). B. Download statements from institutions. C. Download patches or games. D. Log onto secure site of any kind (Symantec diagnostics for example). E. Use "Get Right" download utility so that interrupted files can be restarted right where they broke off downloading. etc.
I've tried turning off all firewalls and blockers of any kind. It makes no difference. Double checked my isp's ports and stuff.
I did remove hp backweb, could that have caused it? It's and HP pavilion 7955.
Can you help me? I have and have run, Norton Systemworks 2005, Norton Firewall, (I've disabled the Windows firewall), run spybouncer. I've no spyware, viruses or worms I can find with these.

Advertisements

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
get a new ISP lol... these guys sound like they suck... ive had the same problem and i just changed my ISP and it fixed

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
If you can browse the internet . . . .

Google: "HP backweb" & read some of the hits . . .see if you can relate to what they are saying . . . .

Then. . . . . .

You may want to post your problem on: "Malware" section of this forum
and get someone from Staff to help you

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Was doing some research on that backweb . . .

seems that it is an: "internet speed up" application?? here is a quote from a Forum (?) on the subject:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
re: Back web ????
Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 12:36 am
Posted by Jack Gulley (5173 messages posted)

"Most of the servers that Back Web tries to communicate with have not been active for over a year or more. Although the IP addresses are still owned by an Asian company that promotes itself as the marketing company of the future. So to avoid internet connection slowness, it is best to at least remove BackWeb from startup, and/or to just remove it. Have never heard of "real" updates using these services, other than a few ADs for a few updated or related products. HP systems often have two different versions of Back Web on them. One as part of the HP package and another for the Mouse driver package. "

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Perhaps it may be obsolete/expired pages in your "internet history" . . .
that your browser is trying to connect with.??

I had a problem where I could not connect to certain web pages because: My browser was trying to use "old/expired" pages & could never connect. . . .I had to clean up my internet history

I would type in a new www.XXXXX.com & it was determined to go the last old/expired page . . . . .

Could be a similar problem. . . .anyway Staff can still help you. . . .

Might want to give them more details. . . .Computer - Browser - ISP -
and what you can & cannot connect to.

Just a thought
Jack123