Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video file conversion (.asf to anything else)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I recently got a converter for my parents that records VCR tapes and saves them as video files, very useful for them. It works fine however it saves the videos as .asf files which are very difficult to playback, very touchy and unreliable. I am looking for a converter that can quickly convert them to something more usable like .mkv or .mp4, anything else really. Any suggestions, free or paid would be very helpful.

Advertisements

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
WinFF should convert your files. It's a GUI for the FFmpeg framework and it's pretty versatile.

Alternatively, you could use Mpegstreamclip.

Both are free and should suit your needs, however, I use them both regularly and have had higher success rates with WinFF.

Hope this helps. :)