Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Hard Drive from one computer to anther...

• Please log in to reply

Bamaluver

Bamaluver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had an HP (G50-N112NR) with a bad hard drive (running Vista). I had a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 with a problem with the MB (running Windows 7). Today, I switched out the HD's - putting the one from the Toshiba into the HP (the HP had the dead HD). It booted up beautifully, seems to be working fine, ran a windows update, etc. The question is: Should I expect future problems from this HD trade?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi :welcome:

If both machines have OEM editions of Windows legally you can't move the system to a different machine and most likely Windows 7 is now deactivated. This will be different if you have a Windows 7 Retail version.

Technically when you move a Windows installation to completely different hardware it's always better to do a fresh install because windows will try to load the drivers for the old hardware and that could give some problems.

Bamaluver

Bamaluver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Both had factory installed OS when we purchased them (the HP is probably 6 years old, the Toshiba 3 yrs old). When I loaded the HD from the Toshiba (windows 7) to the HP (Vista), it automatically booted up with Windows 7 & has been working w/no problems all day. So, are you saying you think it will eventually deactivate? Of course, since they were both factory installed, all I have is a recovery disk. Guess I need to purchase another copy of Win7? If I purchase a copy of Windows 7, will it install with the proper drivers in the HP machine? I assume I can't burn a copy from another machine?

Edited by Bamaluver, 03 August 2013 - 05:43 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Both had factory installed OS when we purchased them (the HP is probably 6 years old, the Toshiba 3 yrs old). When I loaded the HD from the Toshiba (windows 7) to the HP (Vista), it automatically booted up with Windows 7 & has been working w/no problems all day. So, are you saying you think it will eventually deactivate?

Yes. Check the status by following the Method 3 on this page

Of course, since they were both factory installed, all I have is a recovery disk. Guess I need to purchase another copy of Win7? If I purchase a copy of Windows 7, will it install with the proper drivers in the HP machine? I assume I can't burn a copy from another machine?

If you purchase windows 7 the disk includes some drivers but most likely not all the ones needed for your machine, you probably have to visit the HP website to download the specific drivers for your machine.
And yes the recovery disk are specific for each brand and model.