Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking at Alienware x51 and need advice from the PC jawkies

• Please log in to reply

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
"Alienware X51
Equiped with 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor, an optional windows 8 upgrade and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645 graphics card. Enjoy 1080p HD Gaming with our most compact desktop, ever."

Okay so I've never owned a gamer PC but have always played RTS strategy games and such point&click games with whatever chance I've got. So anyways, wanting to find a safe and affordable PC for gaming and stumbled across this beauty.
Is this decent for a casual strategy gamer who plays games like Simcity, Age Of Empires, Black And White 2, Command And Conquer, and Elder Scrolls Skyrim ? ? ?
http://www.dell.com/...nware-x51-r2/fs I am going for the $700 one. :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• Alienware.PNG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
:welcome: BanditPlunderer

The computer has many positive reviews but be mindful of the following one;

i bought my x51 with i3-3220, 4gb ram, and gtx 645. for those specs, the comp performs satisfactorily. it is decent for a casual gamer who doesnt want to spend a bomb on a very good gamers computer.

other pros: nice design and lights, compact. it saves space and i get to change the 'looks' of my comp often through the different coloured lights available.

cons: but being compact also means it has poor ventilation. while gaming my x51 CPU easily reaches 80 degree celsius even when I did not put it on max settings. and i already found it very noisy because the fan is spinning quickly to maintain the temperatures at that level. this is a very annoying.

You would get the best from a 64-bit OS with 8GB of Ram but Dell would charge you an additional $50 for swapping the 2GB stick to a second 4GB stick which is outrageous http://configure.us....=en&s=dhs&cs=19 check the memory upgrade tab.

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Wow that is disappointing. I'd hate to spend much money on a gaming rig, but I think I am going to go with the Coenus i7-4779K Avatar, BUT Spending this much $ on this computer will keep me up to par with Xbox 1 & the Playstation 4 console hardware, right? http://avatargamingp...s-i7-4779k.html
(I know this doesn't correspond with the thread title now)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
The Coenus is expensive and predominantly because you would be paying for something that you do not need for solid gaming performance, two examples are the i7 processor and the 16GB of Ram, games programmers, CAD experts and 3D professionals would use that spec but not the average user/gamer, 8GB of Ram is all that you need or will use for gaming.

Personally if you have the budget I would suggest you build your own rig or purchase the parts and have a local tech assemble the hardware for you, you will only pay for what you need and get more bang for your buck, GTG will help with choosing parts and the build process if you do decide to build your own.