Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen blank?

• Please log in to reply

same90

same90

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all, my Samsung laptop screen is blank but it turns on fine, I just see a blank screen. I hooked it up to my tv with a hdmi cable and I see the screen on my tv but my laptop remains blank. Help?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
:welcome: same90

Have you tried pressing the Fn and the F4 key down together in case the notebook has somehow become set to external display only, if yes and no joy when the notebook is powered up can you look closely into the notebooks screen and check if you can see any desktop icons in the background, it is sometimes necessary to shine a flashlight into the screen to be able to see the icons.

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I tried the fn+f4 thing and it still doesn't work and now I can't even get the screen on my tv with hdmi because I think I've set it to laptop monitor only and I've since reset my laptop so no way to change it back now :(
It does show a slight bit if my screen at the bottom of my laptop monitor but it's less than a 1/4 of it that's visible, the rest is black, please help!

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'd even be grateful to get my laptop screen back on my tv now, that was better than nothing at all, so frustrating

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Pressing Fn + F4 again should switch the display back to the TV.

When you restart the notebook keep tapping the F2 key when you do so, this to see if you can get the BIOS screen to display.

It does show a slight bit if my screen at the bottom of my laptop monitor but it's less than a 1/4 of it that's visible, the rest is black, please help!

This is possibly caused by a damaged or loose motherboard to screen ribbon/cable.

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried pressing fn+f4 bit nothing happens, the thing is my laptop is at the sing in stage but I can't see my mouse to click to sign in so I can't get to the main desktop menu

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I meant sign in, using a phone so sorry for spelling errors

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Power down the notebook using the power off button, wait a second and then restart it while tapping the F2 key and then check the notebook screen to see if the BIOS screen is visible in the background, let us know what you find before you do anything else please.

Can you post the model name or number of the Samsung so we can do some research, thanks.

You are doing well posting from a phone so no worries regarding any misspellings :thumbsup:

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried the f2 and the screen remains blank. The model is SAMSUNG - Series 3 3530E 15.6" Laptop

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
All that I can suggest now is that the video cable is checked for signs of damage or being loose, this is a job best left to a suitably qualified tech or competent person as it is a technical task, see disassembly video below, as an asides keep trying the Fn + F4 key when the notebook is starting up;

Advertisements

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Im not going to try that myself as I'll probably make it worse. How can I try fn+f4 if my laptop is at the sign in screen? The only way I'll be able to get the screen back on my tv is if I can somehow sign in and get to the desktop screen but it's black so I can't see a thing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

as an asides keep trying the Fn + F4 key when the notebook is starting up;]

Restart the notebook and press Fn + F4 straight away as in do not let it get to the log in screen first.

I don't know your sign in procedure but on my computers when I restart or boot up the cursor goes automatically to the password dialogue box so all I would need to do in this situation would be give the notebook time to get to the log in screen, enter my password and then press enter, try this method if you need to.

Shine a flashlight into the screen - can you see anything.

same90

same90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't see nothing when I shine a light, I can't see the log in screen but that's what it goes to and after the log in us done it comes up lots of different option boxes like: desktop, mail, pictures etc. you have to hover over the on you want and click but I can't see anything

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Please try a hard reset by turning off the notebook, removing the battery - power cord, hold down the power on button for around 20 seconds, replace the battery and restart the notebook to see if there is any change.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be that the back-light for the screen has failed. Sometimes you can see what is on the screen through reflections, but too much light might not make it so that you can see it.