Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my computer build

• Please log in to reply

ajtav007

ajtav007

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello. I am a 17 year old male that is looking to build his first gaming computer. I have a budget of $750 with a build already made and i was just wondering if someone could help me.

My Build:
Processor - AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Quad Core 3.6 Ghz (3.8 Ghz Turbo) Model - FD4100WMGUSBX
Video Card - XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 2gb 256-bit Model - FX-787A-CDFC
RAM - 1 Stick Corsair XMS 8gb Model - CMX8GX3M1A1600C11
Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 Model - M5A97 LE R2.0
Hard Drive - Western Digital Blue 1tb Model - WD10EZEX
SDD - Sandisk ReadyCashe 32gb SATA 3 Model - SDSSDRC-032G-G26
Tower - NZXT Tempest MidTower Model - CA-TP210-01
Power Supply - Corsair CX600M 600W Model - CX600M
DVD Drive - Asus Burner Model - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

I would just like to know if this is a good build for the money, if everything is compatible with each other, and if i should replace anything. Im not looking to play the new new games that come out, im just looking to be able to play games like League of Legends, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3 all at their highest settings. I am also looking to go dual monitor so i was wondering if that is possible with the hardware im looking to buy. Thank you for your time!

P.S. i was also wondering if someone could give me some tips on putting the computer together.

Edited by ajtav007, 04 August 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: ajtav007

Just a couple of pointers for you, use 2 x 4GB sticks of Ram as opposed to a single 8GB stick, the reason for this because Ram is most stable when used in matching pairs meaning that if you wished to upgrade the Ram you would need to add a matching 8GB stick which could be costly + most importantly if the single 8Gb stick failed you would not be able to use the computer.

The SSD does not have a large enough storage capacity, you should choose an SSD with between 120 and 128GB of storage space as this will accommodate the OS + the many updates that will be released in the coming years, you will also be able to keep your favorite games on it for quicker access.

Finally you do not have an OS disk such as Windows 7 64-bit on your list, what will you be using.

What country will you be purchasing the parts.

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will be purchasing everything in the US. And i know windows 7 isnt on my list, i just want to make sure that all the hardware works together and if i should replace anything, like increasing the SSD to a 120gb. Thanks!

Edited by ajtav007, 04 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update ajtav007 :thumbsup:

Your parts are ok apart from the couple of items I mentioned, we have your budget and location so lets see if we can come up with an alternative list for you to look over, the aim is to get you the best that we can for the least amount of cash.

http://pcpartpicker....wer2/saved/26ms a little over your budget but see what you think.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 August 2013 - 12:43 PM.
Link added

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey. Thanks for the update. My build went up to $810 so you're actually saving me money with that build. Ill probably go with that one. Thank you! Do you have any tips for actually building it, like putting the parts together?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome and I am pleased that you feel that the list is ok :thumbsup:

A build tutorial courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Couple of tips for you, once you have ordered your parts download whatever manuals that you can such as the MB, video card and case etc, read them while you are waiting for the parts to arrive so that you are familiar with them and this will help the build procedure go more smoothly, test all the new hardware outside of the case before assembling them in the case so as to ensure that none were DOA, this referred to as a bare-bones set up or breadboarding, below is my canned text that I provide when helping people troubleshooting new build issues, the principal will help you along the way;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Any questions please don`t hesitate to ask.

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, thank you very much! ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome ajtav007 :thumbsup:

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
1 more question. Why is the video card on your build more than $50 less than mine if its the same thing?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

1 more question. Why is the video card on your build more than $50 less than mine if its the same thing?

Do you have a link to where you got your price from so that the warranty details can be checked, a lifetime as opposed to a two year manufacturers warranty would come at a premium for example.

Advertisements

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Here you go: http://www.newegg.co...pk=FX-787A-CDFC

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Your XFX card does have a lifetime warranty but other than that I see no difference performance wise.

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks hahah. Saving me the big bucks :P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks hahah. Saving me the big bucks :P

Odd as it may seem but that is also rewarding for us too :D

ajtav007

ajtav007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
phillpower2: Can you build me an ideal gaming computer, no matter the cost? I dont know how much money im going to have yet, and if i almost have enough for it im going to save up to get the ideal one. Thanks!