Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external HDD recovery

• Please log in to reply

Thomas Ørum

Thomas Ørum

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I own a Buffalo ministation 500gb external USB HDD which recently crashed
the drive is recognised by Windows 7 and XP both in explorer and in diskmannager, asigned a drive letter but does not open. When trying to do so Windows prompts me to format the drive and then fails to do so.
I have been trying to format in order to use a data recovery program like asoftech's free version but with no luck.
I don't believe physical damage is the cause as the drive has not been dropped and it powers up and spins without a sound.

any suggestions to recover the data and possibly the drive?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You can try this Thomas but I don't hold out much hope for the Buffalo.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Thomas Ørum

Thomas Ørum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried and failed unfortunately.
When browsing for scan directory and clicking on the buffalo's drive letter again windows prompts to format the drive - and fails.
trying to run recuva on the drive anyway gives the error message "path does not exist"

Thanks for the link anyway, seems much nicer than what I've found up till now.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Thomas,

If you want to recover the data on the drive don't try to Format!

There are some programs that can recover data in situations like the one you describe but they aren't free you can however try the demo versions before decide to buy the software. Two options:
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free can only recover 2GB, is good to see how the program work and if it can recover your files or not!
- GetDataBack not free you can download a demo version that will preview the files possible to recover so you can evaluate the result before buying the software.

You will need another HDD with 500GB of free space or more to store the recovered files because you can't save them for the original drive during the recover process.

Edited by SleepyDude, 05 August 2013 - 08:30 AM.