Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Bluetooth

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have two HDD's in my Asus G73. One is Win 7 Ultimate and one is now Windows 8. It gives me the option of which OS to boot up when I start up. The problem I have is with Bluetooth in Win 7. It seems to work in Win 8, and it worked before with the original Win 7 OS. I have installed all of the Win 7 drivers, but no Bluetooth operation. In device manager there is no Bluetooth radio or Bluetooth network device. How can I turn these things on? I thought there was a Bluetooth window in control panel but I don't see it. I don't think it's a hardware issue. Like I said, it worked fine in my previous Windows 7 install, and it appears to work in Windows 8. I just need to figure out how to turn it on with this new Win 7 install.
Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Did you install the Bluetooth driver? With the exact model number you should be able to find the correct driver on the Asus website.
Do you have any reference to Bluetooth on the Device Manager? In my laptop I have a category called Bluetooth Radios and some Bluetooth devices on the Network adapters category.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I found the driver on line and reinstalled it; I already had a WIndows 7 driver install that I have ran a couple times. It just acts like the Bluetooth isn't there. But if I reboot to Windows 8 on the same machine, the Bluetooth works fine, and, it worked fine in the previous install of Windows 7 Home Premium.
What the heck am I missing here?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I found the driver on line and reinstalled it; I already had a WIndows 7 driver install that I have ran a couple times. It just acts like the Bluetooth isn't there. But if I reboot to Windows 8 on the same machine, the Bluetooth works fine, and, it worked fine in the previous install of Windows 7 Home Premium.
What the heck am I missing here?

In some machines the Bluetooth can be disable/enable using a combination Fn + F?, in some machines this works by the hardware but in others you need to have some software installed to be able to control this.
I have a Dell laptop and the Fn + F2 is used to enable/disable Wireless and Bluetooth at the same time.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
On an Asus laptop there are little Gif pictures that come up to tell you what's going on. So I tried the Fn-F2 thing and I got the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons, but cycling the buttons only turned the Wi-Fi on and off. The Bluetooth stayed off. But... just for grins I tried some of the other buttons, including the Zz sleep button. As you might it expect, the machine went to sleep. When I got the thing woke up, lo and behold, the Bluetooth was up and running. Don't know how or why, just glad it works.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

On an Asus laptop there are little Gif pictures that come up to tell you what's going on. So I tried the Fn-F2 thing and I got the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons, but cycling the buttons only turned the Wi-Fi on and off. The Bluetooth stayed off. But... just for grins I tried some of the other buttons, including the Zz sleep button. As you might it expect, the machine went to sleep. When I got the thing woke up, lo and behold, the Bluetooth was up and running. Don't know how or why, just glad it works.

Some times the graphic with the status indication is confusing and make difficult to realize if we are disabling or enabling the device.
It happens to me all the time. Or it could be something different like power save...

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Well, whatever the icons are telling me, the deal is... whenever I boot up, the Bluetooth does not work until I put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up. I guess I can live with it but I would sure like to figure out why it does that.