Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FBI Moneypak and Subsequent Google Redirect [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bruce8055

Bruce8055

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I try to uninstall Combofix using /Uninstall, it appears to run Combofix. The first time I tried it started to download a newer version of Combofix. I clicked on cancel. The download stopped but the computer seemed to hang. Did I maybe mess something up? I then rebooted and tried again. This time I let it download the newest version hoping that was part of the uninstall but I selected Cancel when the disclaimer popped up.

Any thoughts on how else to uninstall Combofix? Did I potentially mess up my PC?

I tried posting this a minute ago and my IE seemed to freeze when I selected Preview Post. I rebooted just to be able to post this.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Bruce8055

Bruce8055

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just one more observation. Internet Explorer seems like it's slowed down significantly since I tried to uninstall Combofix. It's better at some times than others. Google Instant Search only works some of the time.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
I have never heard of that :confused: and I don't see how running the uninstall switch with ComboFix could cause it to run.

When you ran the OTL fix it created a restore point. Please open System Restore and restore the computer back to the date that the OTL fix was run. It should be 8/15/2013 and see if that resolves the IE problem.

If that resolves the problem, I want you to run the OTL fix in Step 2. of post #25 again to clear the TEMP files.

Then start the clean up instructions again. When you get to Uninstall ComboFix use these directions instead:

Copy the following line. To do that, highlight the text then right click the mouse and click Copy:

"%userprofile%\Desktop\combofix.exe" /Uninstall

Click the Start Orb. In the Start Search box type cmd.exe
In the list of programs at the top of the Menu right click cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator. A black Command window will open.
At the blinking cursor, right click and click Paste. This will put the text in the Command window.
Press the Enter key.
Back at the blinking cursor type exit and press the Enter key to close the Command window.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Bruce8055

Bruce8055

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Everything is looking good. If you have any information on key loggers I'd appreciate it. I do online banking so it sounds like you would recommend them. Lastly what add-ins do you recommend in IE? I still have add-ins called Moneyside and Microsoft Live Search Toolbar.

Thanks.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Everything is looking good.

Good job :thumbsup:

If you have any information on key loggers I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia page describing keylogging and anti-keyloggers:
http://en.wikipedia....ystroke_logging

Another one is: http://compnetworkin...g/keylogger.htm

Here is a link to a page listing the top 5 software Keylogger programs: http://www.top5freew...are-for-windows

Here is a link for the top 10 reviews for paid anti-keylogger software: http://anti-keylogge...tenreviews.com/

Here is a Google search for free anti-keylogger software. A lot of the links will have both a free version and paid versions: https://www.google.c...l&sa=N&start=10

I do online banking so it sounds like you would recommend them.

The malware removal techs here recommend Trusteer Rapport as an added layer of protection. To go to their home page click here

Lastly what add-ins do you recommend in IE? I still have add-ins called Moneyside and Microsoft Live Search Toolbar.

The Moneyside add-in is part of Microsoft Money. The Microsoft Live Search Toolbar. is part of Microsoft Live and comes installed from HP on some computers.
I don't use IE so I don't really know what is available for IE. For that matter I only have one or two add-ons in Firefox. I just try to stay away from them unless they perform a function I really want.
You can manage the add-ins in IE (turn them on or off). Click here to see the Microsoft How to manage add-ons in Internet Explorer 9 page.

Microsoft Money is also starting up when you start Windows. If you don't want it to load at start up let me know and I'll do some research.

Have all of the tools been removed?

Bruce8055

Bruce8055

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the help. All the tools have been removed except Malware Bytes and TFC. I think I'm in good shape.

Is Money starting a process or service of some kind? I didn't realize anything was starting. I don't see any need to have it start anything unless I'm doing banking stuff. If you could tell me how to shut that down, I'd appreciate it.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Thanks for the help. All the tools have been removed except Malware Bytes and TFC.

You are welcome. Keep MalwareBytes and use it to run a quick scan at least once a week. Run a full scan at least once a month. Be sure to update the program before scanning. Keep TFC to clean the TEMP files at least once a month.

Is Money starting a process or service of some kind? I didn't realize anything was starting. I don't see any need to have it start anything unless I'm doing banking stuff. If you could tell me how to shut that down, I'd appreciate it.

Yes. It starts a process when Windows boots up:
PRC - [2002/07/17 11:00:00 | 000,200,767 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe
And it loads the MS Money program when Windows starts up as denoted by this registry key:
HKCU..\Run: [MoneyAgent] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe (Microsoft Corporation)
And it should put an icon in the System Tray. I don't use MS Money but I believe there is a setting in the program that will stop it. See the Money FAQ page here. It will help you decide if you want the program running in the background or not.

Please let me know that you read this post. Then if there aren't any further issues this topic will be closed.
Stay safe on the net and if you need us in the future just give us a shout.

Bruce8055

Bruce8055

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the info on MS Money. Go ahead and close the topic.

Thanks again.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.