Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! New Soundcard Not Working! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

almightyseancore

almightyseancore

• Pip
  • 5 posts
so i went out and bought myself a brand new $50 set of speakers today for my PC, because my dog chewed off the cable to my old ones.

i get home, and notice i'm only getting a left audio channel from my on board audio that i've always used since the day i bought this PC, an emachines et1831-07.

i did some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that it was the input jack of the onboard audio device, so i went out to my local PC parts store, and picked up a brand new encore electronics ENM232-6VIA PCI sound card for the amazingly affordable price of $15.

i installed the card, booted up the PC, and windows 7 detected the card and installed a Realtek driver by default, yet i had no sound whatsoever, and yes, i plugged the speakers into the green input in the back.

it included a cd-rom to instal it's own specific driver, but my cd drive is temporarily out of commission, so i disabled the realtek driver and downloaded the driver pack for this card from the encore-usa.com website.

after running the setup app, it said everything was installed, and gave me the option to restart. after clicking 'restart' my computer crashed to a white screen, and i got a 'not responding - cancel/wait to respond" option, i attempted waiting for it to respond for about 5 minutes but it never did, so clicked cancel, and my computer went back to windows 7, and did not restart.

i received an error message that said something along the lines of "686: installation was not successful." or something like that, in a small pop up window, with only an option to click ok. i click ok, and check my device manager, and low and behold new the driver is available, but still i have no sound.

i restart the computer, still no sound.

uninstalled the drivers and attempted another install, just to have the same crash to white screen after clicking restart, with all the same symptoms happening again.

so yeah, i'm stuck with no sound until anyone on here can help me. i've tried finding other solutions on google with no luck.

i've already disabled my onboard drivers via device manager, and done pretty much everything else i can think of.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Edited by almightyseancore, 06 August 2013 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

almightyseancore

almightyseancore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i should probably also mention that these new speakers work fine, i had the one channel issue when plugging it into the on board, but i tested the auxiliary input and had no problems at all. the problem at hand is clearly the new card, and i'm assuming it's a driver issue, but not really sure at all.

Edited by almightyseancore, 06 August 2013 - 07:29 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,508 posts
Hi lmightyseancore,

My left channel is out too, it comes off the subwoffer....... :(

ENM232-6VIA Specification Sheet

System Requirement:
•Available PCI slot
•CD-ROM Drive
•Windows® 8 / 7 / XP; Windows Vista®
•Amplified Speakers, Amplifier with Speakers, Headphones

http://www.encore-us..._EN130408_1.pdf

The 1 thing I see in the specks sheet is a requirement for amplified speakers, it's all I see....

almightyseancore

almightyseancore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the reply. i already read the PDF hours ago, i'm on windows 7, and totally fit the specs.

the card is obviously in a PCI slot, or we wouldn't have this problem.

i even tried backtracking, uninstalling, and making things word on my on board, original audio input, and now still complete silence.

i have no idea whats going on, i think i've messed up / overlapped / confused my drivers trying to install this thing and getting it to work.

i really don't know what's going on at all now.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,508 posts
OK. Lets see if anything got over looked, I know you went back over everything but it doesn't hurt to take a second look http://windows.micro...lems=windows-7' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Here

almightyseancore

almightyseancore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ran the troubleshooting, it told me to turn realtek back on, so i did.

still no sound.

it also gave me an option to troubleshoot Envy24 Family Audio Controller (which is the driver that i downloaded from the cards website) and it said something wasn't plugged in, which i don't understand because the card is in the pci slot and the speakers are plugged into the line out jack on the card.

i also double checked to see if the card is compatible with windows 7, and it is.

edit: just tried troubleshooting "speakers (envy24 family audio controller)" again, and it said troubleshooting couldn't identify a problem.

Edited by almightyseancore, 07 August 2013 - 08:01 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,508 posts
I wonder if sound card is bad, that's what I'd be thinking even if device manager says device is working properly. This has to be driving you nuts. Not sure what else to suggest but I'll certainly be thinking about it...

Joe :)

almightyseancore

almightyseancore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i removed it and plugged the speakers back into the on board inputs, and activated the old drivers, and now i'm not getting any sound there either.

i'm thinking it's a diver issue, like maybe some are somehow over laping or something, but i really don't know for sure.

Edited by almightyseancore, 07 August 2013 - 02:26 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,508 posts

well i removed it and plugged the speakers back into the on board inputs, and activated the old drivers, and now i'm not getting any sound there either.

It's possible the on board audio was turned off, you can turn that on in the bios. I think some stand alone cards will automatically do that or the additional driver not sure. Thinking how I could look at the installed drivers on the machine.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 07 August 2013 - 02:45 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,508 posts
Here is how we can look at drivers, can you post it here the drivers that is, might shed some light.

http://www.howtogeek...s-the-easy-way/

Joe

Edited by zep516, 07 August 2013 - 02:53 PM.