Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing icons and devices

• Please log in to reply

poeticinsanity

poeticinsanity

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows updated, and after the update, I am left with no speaker icon, no battery power icon, I have no web cam at all which I need for work. I can't even find the web cam listed in device manager. I scanned my computer through HP it says I am fine and need one update for the sympatics touchpad which the health check told me I needed and yet when I go to update it tells me I have the latest update and by updating I will screw things up.

Confused yet...I am beyond frustrated.

I have no error codes, everything seems to be running fine and I see no signs at all of any viruses or malicious programs.

I have read so many different threads at microsoft and at HP on how to fix these problems and then thought, hmm maybe I should come here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I would be grateful for any help!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have a laptop (if not forget what I write) the first thing I would do if you haven't done it already is to go into your BIOS and enable if they are disable your SOUNDCARD, WEBCAM and check if your battery options seem ok.

If they are already enable I would disable then save your changes and restart your laptop and let windows load, once done you shutdown your laptop and restart it and enter the BIOS again and enable everything again to see if windows will detect them on the next boot.

Hope that helps

poeticinsanity

poeticinsanity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sound card not an issue, I have sound I just don't have the little speaker icon, just as I don't have a battery icon to let me know if I am charged, dying...I did try to enable and disable, didn't work for the speakers, and there was nothing for the battery to even disable/enable. and I ran something playing around that did tell me my battery is in proper working order. The web cam there is no sign of it in the quick time, it doesn't see, the control panel isn't showing it.

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Right click on the time in the Task Bar and select Customize Notification Icons. Make sure Volume is set to Show icon and notifications unless you have Always show all icons and notification checked.

poeticinsanity

poeticinsanity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much. I now have icons. I tried to do it another way suggested and it won't allow me to check any boxes, they were all grayed out.

Now if anyone can tell me how to find my webcam.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
??? What is the problem with the webcam?