Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can you help me to reformat a old computer that has corupted windows

• Please log in to reply

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello lord gurus,
Can you help me please format this old but still in good condition my Pentium 4 that has corrupted windows file even after I reinstalled the windows backup files from the disk partition.I do want to start afresh can you please assist me in this task

Advertisements

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again I forgot to mention It has xp professional on it Can I install windows 7 on this unit from afresh and if so how do I do that if it was running 32 bit

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

even after I reinstalled the windows backup files from the disk partition

What exactly do you mean by that? Factory restore partition?
Do you have an install disk? From manufacturer? Retail? etc

Windows 7 will run real slow on a P4. I had one and tried.

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks skifxr for your help....yes I tried and thought I had used the factory partition to reinstate the corrupted windows files I have no install disk as this computer was given to me as the owner had upgraded and has lost his disks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you want to install XP on this machine again you will need this....

http://www.amazon.co...M/dp/B000JTDV6M

Forget all about installing Windows 7 on the machine as your specifications simply can't deal with 7.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

yes I tried and thought I had used the factory partition to reinstate the corrupted windows files

I still do not quite understand.
Please post a screenshot of Disk Management.

Go to the Start Menu, you will see a Run entry. Click on that then type in the box diskmgmt.msc and press enter. A Disk Management will open up. Now while the windows is in focus or otherwise the top most window hold down the alt key and press the print screen key. The key is usually located on the right side top row.

Now open Paint from Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Paint and click edit and then paste. Click file, save as. On the left location bar, click desktop. Now in the save as type click the down arrow and save as a JPEG or PNG. The image of device manager is now on your desktop.

Attach it to your next reply as well as supplying the exact make and model of your PC.

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Everyone my computer is dell but that is all I can get from it at the moment I will try what you have instructed me and see if I can achieve what you ask thanks Will get back to you as soon as I can

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
by the way I have 2 xp install disks from my other computers can these be of any use in this reguard??

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
If the disks are OEM and you use the key that's on the COA sticker of the Dell it may work. I know nothing about the disks in question.

Go to Service Tag Lookup | Dell US and have it look up your service tag then post it to your next reply.

Diamondview

Diamondview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again...The computer is a dell Dimention 3000 have tried to connect to the internet but it would not install the software I have also tried to install my version of Xp but it said that it could not cause the version on the computer was a later version then what I was trying to install and the other xp disks(2) are from my Asus laptop Could these be worth trying ?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The Asus disks are no use whatsoever as they are designed for Asus systems and not Dell.

I have already suggested what you need as it is an unbranded XP SP3 OEM.