Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with aurora [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kilabeez0

kilabeez0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Wow, thank you very much. Can you just tell me what i should do with all these programs I've dled? Ewido automatically starts each time I restart, I'm not sure if I should let it run or disable it because it will slow my connection?

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You didn't download much. You should keep Ad-aware and Spybot. You may delete FindIt's.

Ewido shouldn't slow down your internet, but if you don't want it, just go to the Add/Remove program and uninstall it from there. Why isn't your Norton running at startup? That's not a good idea. A antivirus program should be running at all times for the best protection.

Any other questions/problems before I close this topic?

kilabeez0

kilabeez0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i deleted norton, i didn't like it and never used it. so maybe i should keep ewido running at all times. i plan on keeping adaware, spybot, and cws, and hjt incase i have any problems. can i run nailfix randomly to clean things up?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I never liked Norton either :tazz: But if you want, you can get a free antivirus (Ewido is also free after the 14 day trial period) called Grisoft AVG. I use it all the time and it's very good. Ewido's site says that it's compatible with AVG, so you may keep both of them running for protection if you wish.

No. Don't run nailfix unless you are told to do so. This tool was created to target a specific infection -> Aurora. I suggest deleting it now since it's no longer needed.

If you want a program to do cleaning up, I highly suggest the following free program:

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. OK, before we go on, I want you to take note of this first. This program will wipe out all files in your Temporary folders, any file extensions that have a tilde (~) in it, .bak files, .chk files, .tmp files and index.dat files. Most of you should be ok with this, but there may be some who need these files. If you are one of them, do not follow this step. Post back a reply telling us about this. So if that's ok, then download CleanUp! http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ (Alternate Link if main link don't work - http://www.greyknigh...spy/CleanUp.exe ) and install it. Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. Once it's done, you may click the Close button. When asked if you want to logoff, choose No.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. ;)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.