Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD windows Vista (mothers pc)

• Please log in to reply

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
i hope all is well with you. attached is a crash dump i got today when i booted her pc, it almost booted twice (the hp advisor is last thing to load) then i very briefly saa a blue screen saying something about memory management

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first a explanation of what this is saying.

» FltMgr.sys is a system file used by Windows to help control various aspects of hard drives & files. It is officially called the "Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager" and its main duty in the operating system is make sure that the data written to the hard drive is correct and not corrupted.

The fltmgr.sys error is caused when Windows cannot read or process files that are on the hard drive, hard drives will stop working and the blue screen appears.The fltmgr.sys blue screen error is a serious Windows OS error that can cause a PC to deteriorate over time. Hard drive failure and a system crash will usually result, with subsequent data loss. The error refers to the File system Filter Manager of the Windows operating system, which is responsible for arranging and locating files on the hard drive. When this important file becomes corrupt, the system is not able to read and process files on the hard drive and data may get lost as a result.

The cause of the fltmgr.sys errors are mainly about the file being corrupted or unreadable. If the file is corrupted, you will receive this error continuously…. But the most common cause of this error is the File System Manager failing to load properly, a simple restart of your PC will fix the problem. This will clear the system's RAM and provide another chance for it to boot up cleanly. If this doesn't occur, carry on to checking all Hardware and hard drives for normal connection.

Have you installed any new hardware or software just prior to this starting?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
the only thing i have done is update the drivers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does rebooting help at all?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
yesterday it booted up without any problems.. the day of that last crash report it took 3 or 4 times to boot up correctly

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you have gone 2 days without any problems from what I can see correct?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
my mom has not said there have been no problems with blue screen or otherwise since i posted last.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So at this point we are at 4 days with no problems. Lets see what happens in 2 more days and if everything is good then I think we can call this resolved.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
my mom said all has been working fine. today it almost booted (just stopped short of the hp advisor thing) and rebooted to the screen for my choice of safe modes or normal start). i went to safe mode then restarted i with no problems. also, last time i scanned with driver max, it claimed all drivers were up to date, today a usb mass storage device and realtek high definition audio showed out of date. under windows, minidump.. there have been no issues since oct 22.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Some drivers will show up at different times and it is normal. I am glad everything seems to be working good for you. Let me know if you are ready to mark this topic as resolved.

Advertisements

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
i spoke to soon.. it just crashed on me. i cant zip or rar the minidump file (havent been able to since the start.. i copied it to a usb and used my laptop) i can get a copy of this new minidump tomorrow and post it

error when trying is
cannot create mini102813-01.rar access is denied
for 7 zip.. error warning: access is denied

i just printed something without a problem but scanner claims to not be communicating. i just removed the printed and used revo uninstaller to remove the software and just reinstalled the printer.

still receiving scanner unreachable. scanner communication cannot be established

ughhh technology

when i go thru the control panel and go to scanners and cameras.. properties.. test scanner.. it says your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test

Edited by xppc, 28 October 2013 - 01:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try WhoCrashed to get the log ?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
i am not familiar with that.. attached is the log

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Try this and lets see if it finds any more info on the exact cause.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
below is cut and past of your request

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: BUNNY-PC
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2078027776 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1978130432

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 10/28/2013 6:12:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102813-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x4DCD1)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF805D3130, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 10/28/2013 6:12:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x1736)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF805D3130, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

On Tue 10/22/2013 8:41:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102213-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x98292)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41287, 0x4D842E6D, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/25/2013 4:59:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini092513-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x4DECD)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x210, 0xFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF824F4DCB)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 9/13/2013 8:00:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091313-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x238A42)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82673A42, 0xFFFFFFFF9F14912C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.