Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant install OS,motherboard problem?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
my friend gave us a desktop computer. He said it worked but when we turned it on it hung at the blue screen that says its starting for about 4 hours literally. He pushed the power button in to force turn the computer on. He turned it back on with a windows 7(?) disk in to reinstall windows 7.During installation the fatal blue screen popped up. He tried installing windows xp next & during installation got the blue screen again. Now when you turn on the computer it hangs for hours on the screen that looks like the one in the pic i posted.
Someone told me its a motherboard problem. Is this right? What could be wrong here?

Attached Thumbnails

• win7_rc_install_09_thumb4.jpg

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello

I am going to say it is your hard drive that is failing and not the mother board... One your pc will power up,this is a good sign and usually with a bad mobo this doesn't happen. You can't install your OS,this is indicative of a failing hard drive..

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
when the specs are ran it says hard drive is good though

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
If the drive is good then I'd suspect the memory.

xBlueRobot

xBlueRobot

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
What is the Stop Code of the BSOD? I'm quite confident it will be a Stop 0x7B, are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking?