Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping drive letters with new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
In my computer, I have an SSD with my operating system and programs on it, along with a 1.5TB data drive (drive D:\) that holds all of my steam games and user folders (connected to the SSD via symbolic link.) I bought a 3TB drive to replace the 1.5TB, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the links. Now that I've got the data copied over (I used shadowcopy,) I can change the symbolic links over, but can I change the drive letters afterwards? I want to keep my data drive as D:\, but my new hard drive is currently E:\

So basically, I'm asking how I can change my drive letters and keep the symbolic links intact.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you tried This

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
No, I haven't yet. I need a way to change the paths without breaking the symbolic links (either that, or find a way to keep a drive in D:\ at all times.) I've tried cloning the drive, but the programs (and boot cd's) I use either fail or don't recognize one of the drives. Is there a way I can change these letters from recovery mode?

Edited by WhydoIask?, 10 August 2013 - 06:19 AM.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Alright, I figured it out. The reason this isn't so straightforward with me is that my users folder is on my data drive, linked to C:\. If I change the drive letter away from D:\ without changing the link, I won't have a Users folder, and I don't want to know how Windows will react without one while I'm still logged in. I'm using Link Shell Extension, and I didn't realize until today that this added a tab to the properties window of links. The new 'link properties' tab lets me change the target of the link, so I was able to move the link of my users folder to E:\ (my new drive with everything copied over.) Then it was as easy as changing the old drive to a new letter, changing the link to the old drive again, changing my new drive to D:\, and pointing the link back to D:\.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad to hear you figured it out and thank you for posting the solution WhydoIask? so that it may help others :thumbsup: