Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Fried Confirmation

• Please log in to reply

m4k

m4k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I am 99% sure it is the motherboard, but if someone can confirm before I buy a new one that would be great. Here is the problem and the fixes I have tried.

Problem: I moved around the RAM with the computer turned off, but the power supply still plugged in. After I did that when turning on my computer my mobo would give 3 long beeps and no display on the monitor which for mine means bad memory

What I tried:

Using only 1 RAM stick/RAM in every possible combination of slots.
Reset BIOS/CMOS
Reseat video card/all wires connected
Buy new RAM, try all combinations.

I'm thinking I must have shorted/fried the RAM sockets, can't really think of anything else it could be. Anyone want to confirm?

Much appreciated

Advertisements

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Use a bare minimum setup.

Unplug all cables. Only connect mobo + psu + single ram + hdd to boot up.

m4k

m4k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried that, still same problem. Thanks for reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
:welcome: m4k

3 error beeps does often point to bad Ram or DIMM slots on the MB but it can also mean bad video memory or a keyboard error and each will prevent the system from completing the POST
Try removing all Ram and see if the beep pattern changes.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

m4k

m4k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried removing RAM still same issue.

Custom build

Motherboard: MSI 760FM-E51 FX
CPU: AMD 8120 FX
GPU: AMD 6870
PSU: Thermaltake 550 watt
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1333 1.5v 2 x 4gb sticks

I'm having a friend install a new mobo tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Is the replacement MB identical to the existing one?

m4k

m4k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is not, I decided to upgrade to the most recent AMD chipset.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
A wise decision, after reading the feedback on Newegg for the MSI, you would have been lucky to receive a good working board.
Some info.
If you have any OEM Windows OS and it has already been installed and activated, it is permanently tied to that MB and may not be reused on another MB except an identical one or, (with permission from Microsoft) a similar one if the original is out of production.

Please remember When working on the computer, unplug from the mains. Take anti static measures even when only handling parts.