Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jumping cursor

• Please log in to reply

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
As for #7, when I run the Windows 7 installation disk, my only option is to "Install Windows". I don't think you want me to do that.
As for #9, I have a Dell Vostro 1015 and I ran the diagnostics on the recovery disk. That's what took 2 hours. Nothing happened when it finished. I now know that x86 means 32-bit.

I looked at the ISO tutorial, but don't understand why that is needed or what it will do. Looks pretty drastic.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

As for #7, when I run the Windows 7 installation disk, my only option is to "Install Windows". I don't think you want me to do that.

Reinstalling is almost always a last resort unless it is obvious that the OS is damaged beyond repair.

As for #9, I have a Dell Vostro 1015 and I ran the diagnostics on the recovery disk. That's what took 2 hours. Nothing happened when it finished. I now know that x86 means 32-bit.

Thanks for the clarification but I should have been more specific as we need to know the exact type of Windows 7 disk it is that you have;

What sort of disk is it that you have as in is it a genuine Dell branded Windows® 7 Home Premium (32Bit) disk, a genuine Microsoft Windows® 7 Home Premium (64Bit) installation disk or a burned copy of whatever type.

I looked at the ISO tutorial, but don't understand why that is needed or what it will do

You have not told us what type of Windows 7 disk it is that you have so for all we know it may not be the correct type or if it is a burned copy it may have been burnt too fast and so the data on it cannot be read.

If you have the 25 digit product key for the original Windows 7 OS that was installed on the computer you can download an ISO which will give you your own legitimate full Windows 7 installation disk.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have a Dell original Reinstallation DVD (already installed on my computer), Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. It seems to be for reinstallation only. It has a 20-digit product key.

I also have a Dell Resource Media DVD, which says "Diagnostics" and "Utilities" on it. That is what I installed that took 2 hours to run and told me nothing. That also has a 20-digit product key.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Can you post a picture of the Windows 7 disk as I have no idea what you have and for the following reasons, unless you pay extra for them Dell do not supply reinstallation disks with their computers any more in order to reduce costs, they instead ship the computers with a recovery partition on the HDD, secondly their Dell branded OS disks are no different than the full Microsoft versions in that they have a 25 digit product key/COA (code of authenticity) see attachment below + the information Here

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Here is the disk. I also found a 25-digit product code on the bottom of my laptop.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Your DVD disk actually states on it that it is only for a reinstallation and that the software is already installed on your computer, this suggests that the data on the disk is the same as on a recovery partition which by it`s very nature restores the computer back to as it was when it left the factory and this means that you would lose all your personal data, if you do this back up all of your personal data first if you havn`t already done so.

I would still suggest that you download the ISO so that you have your own full disk.

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm not ready to do that. It sounds drastic. All of these problems occurred because a friend had me follow some instructions to free up some memory from my computer. I sure wish I had ignored him!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ok and I fully understand your reluctance to do anything with your present set up but there is nothing drastic about downloading an ISO, having a full version of Windows would allow you to run tests on your present OS (such as SFC) and make repairs to it if any errors are found, other than that I cannot think of what else to try I`m afraid :(

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Maybe in a few days I'll work up the courage. Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Advertisements

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I created an ISO, which I see is an .img file. It doesn't seem to extract with J-Zip. Win-Zip wants $$$. What now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Not sure what has happened there as there is no cash outlay involved :confused:

Another option + helpful information http://www.heidoc.ne...-download-links

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
WinZip is free for awhile, then they want $$$. Mine ran out a long time ago. I'm going to download 7-Zip, which is always free. Do I extract the files and then copy them to a CD? Or put the .img file on the CD first?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Please See no purchase is required and I am only pointing you towards the download instructions etc

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I think my jumping cursor problem is fixed. I found this site:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
with many happy testimonials. It is supposed to freeze your touchpad when typing text. I downloaded it and so far, so good.

I will get a blank DVD and continue to try to copy the ISO for the future. My tests show I don't have a trojan, so I will hope things return to normal. Thanks again.