Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot boot from my SSD?

• Please log in to reply

Joly1990

Joly1990

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just bought windows 8 and a new SSD today, I installed windows 8 on my old hd then did a data migration to my new SSD. Once I rebooted it said there was an issue with the boot file and that I should insert my bootable disc and restart. Once my windows 8 disc was in I restarted and the same thing happened... Now with my old drive as the first priority in my bios my computer runs but not off of my SSD as I wish it would.
First of all I'd like to understand why I can't simply install windows 8 onto my SSD without having to go through with the migration process (just a clean install) and how come there are no boot files on my SSD?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Joly1990

Now with my old drive as the first priority in my bios my computer runs but not off of my SSD as I wish it would.

Your SSD would need to be the priority boot device and also have a fully functional version of Windows 8 installed on it.

Can I ask why you did not do a clean install of W8 straight to the new SSD.

What version of Windows 8 do you have and from where was the disk obtained please.

Can I ask that you update your previous topic that I replied to but you never responded toMy freaking computer caught fire

As per my sig below;

Staff and Members give their time freely to help others, please be courteous and conclude your topic if assistance is no longer required.

Joly1990

Joly1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I would like to do a clean install onto the SSD but it wouldn`t seem to work so i figure it would be just as easy to clone the data... I have the home edition of w8 and I bought it at computer canada.(local computer store chain) To do a clean install do I just have to only have my sdd, throw in my cd and install it or is there more to it that im missing?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Couple of tutorials for you Joly1990

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

If you have UEFI BIOS http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html