Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PUP.Optional.Tarma.A & PUP.Optional.Wajam.A [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mlansky

mlansky

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi,

My gf ran a full scan using Malware-bytes last night and the scan found 29 objects with the names PUP.Optional.Tarma.A and PUP.Optional.Wajam.A. What is the best best way to get rid of this Malware? How serious are these objects? Can someone please help me out?

Kind regards,

mlansky

Advertisements

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello mlansky

I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.

Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.

Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!

• Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
    • We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.
  • Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
    • Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.
  • Please read every post completely before doing anything.
    • Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.
  • Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
    • A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.
NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.

NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.

NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.

I need to get some reports to get a base to start from so I need you to run these programs first.

-Download DDS-

• Please download DDS from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:

Posted Image
    Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
    Link2
    Link3

• Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
    • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

Gringo

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi Gringo!

Thank you for your reply. My gf is just in the process of saving all of her pictures and any other important files beforehand. Once that's done, she'll be ready to go ahead with the steps that you provided.

Thanks again for your help and talk soon!

Kind regards,

mlansky

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Gringo,

Just curious, what is the best way or do you know of a good way to compress alot of pictures to send via email?

mlansky

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
The most simple is to Zip it up

http://www.7-zip.org/

Gringo

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Gringo,

Thank you so much for your reply's. Sorry that I'm only just getting back to you know. My gf wants to buy and external HD first so she can transfer over all of her picture on that laptap before proceeding with the initial or first step. So I'll get back to you in a couple of days or when she gets the external HD.

Is the Malware that Malware-bytes found a severe form of Malware or is it a common type Malware? From what I found and read about it online, it can allow an attacker to compromise your computer hence it's used for potential fraudulent schemes.

Thanks again for your quick reply's. Believe me, they are extremely appreciated.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello

very common and not very dangerous

PUP detections are Potentially Unwanted Programs. These are programs our researchers have found are sometimes added to a system without the user's knowledge or approval.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Gringo,

Thank you so much for your reply As soon as my gf gets an external HD (which should be this weekend), we'll proceed with that first step.

Thanks again Gringo and talk soon!

Kind regards,

mlansky

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
no problem and see you then

gringo

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello

48 Hour bump

It has been more than 48 hours since my last post.

• do you still need help with this?
  • do you need more time?
  • are you having problems following my instructions?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Gringo

Advertisements

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello

48 Hour bump

• do you need more time?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Gringo

Hi Gringo,

Thank you for your reply. My gf is going to get a 32 GB Flash-Drive tomorrow since there's one here on sale tomorrow. Once she gets the flash-drive, she'll move all of her pictures/etc onto the flash-drive and then we'll be good to go!

Thank you once again for your help and patience. They are greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

mlansky

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
No problem and I will see you when you are ready

Note** Saturday I may not be around much - I have plans

Gringo

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello

48 Hour bump

• do you need more time?

Gringo

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Gringo,

My gf bought an external HD that was on sale yesterday. So I'm going to move all her pictures over to the external HD in the next couple of days then I'll be good to go after that.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

mlansky

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
No problem and I will keep checking on you if I have not heard from you

Gringo