Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer M series laptop handful of keys not working.

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
So an annoying thing started happening to my laptop yesterday. Specifically the q,t,u,p,j keys stopped responding. I was able to restart my computer yesterday and the keys would work again but today that solution isn't working. It's a manufacturer refurbished Asus Aspire M5 (touch screen)and I only got it about 4 months ago. This is very irritating. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

Advertisements

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
UPDATE:

I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and rebooted the laptop. That seems to have worked so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue but I'm still curious as to why this would start happening? Can anyone shine some light onto this? Thanks a bunch in advance.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
UPDATE

Started my laptop up this morning and the keys are once again not working... This is very frustrating. Still looking for answers to this problem...

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Because you have replied to your own topic, it appears to the techs that you are being helped already. I will see if I can find someone to help you. :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Save your data then try restoring to Factory state. The Users Manual covers this starting on page 47.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I will try that, thanks for the reply. On a side note, the keyboard is still acting up. I've now tried going into the ease of access menu and checking on "filter keys". I hit apply and then I uncheck it again and hit apply once more. This is also fixing the issue. It's just a pain because I have to do this every time I wake the laptop up... I'll try restoring to factory. Thanks.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok so I restored to factory defaults but it has not fixed the issue... I went on the Acer website and entered my serial number to see if I could get support for this issue from them. I was informed that my laptop is NOT under warranty for some reason (it is a factory refurb) I need to investigate this further because it should certainly still be under warranty, I checked on this before I bought it. Either way I'm still not sure what the issue is...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If restoring to factory state did not resolve it then I don't know what else to suggest. Beat on Acer and make them honor the wqarranty.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hmm, yeah looks like I'll have to. Thanks for the suggestions.