Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help, malware problem again [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, there's no microsoft antimalware in the control panel. I was thinking something, though. when I first posted this topic and was getting no replies. I tried different things to solve the problem and among these was to uninstall MSE. could it be that it did not uninstalled completely and may still be in my pc's registry. I don't know what else it could be because the only antimalware on the list is malawarebytes.

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
You just asked about the next possibility. ;) Let's see if Revo Uninstaller can find any remnants of MSE.

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free
  • Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
  • From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
  • Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
  • when prompted click on Yes and then on next.
  • put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
  • when prompted select yes then on next
  • Once done click Finish.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
You just asked about the next possibility. ;) Let's see if Revo Uninstaller can find any remnants of MSE.

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free
  • Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
  • From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
  • Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
  • when prompted click on Yes and then on next.
  • put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
  • when prompted select yes then on next
  • Once done click Finish.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
there is no MSE in list of the revo uninstaller....

Edited by rigs, 27 August 2013 - 08:58 PM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Microsoft has published a Fixit for this issue. Please download the Fixit here. It should clean the remnants of MSE for you.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Ok, I transferred microsoftfixit to my pc's desktop. I clicked and it ran and It stated that “the fixit has been prossesed”. I looked for an icon and did not find it. I did a “fixit” file search and found, fix it essentials 11. if this is the program to help me. I have a problem, then. Because it is in german. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
That fixit should be named MicrosoftFixit50692.msi. When I ran it to test, it created a restore point, went through it's process and the final screen appears like this:

Fixit.JPG

If you saw that screen it should have run correctly, if so try to install MSE again. If not, try re-downloading and running the file again.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, so by just runnin the file it suppose to fix my problem? I did get all the screens up to the last one. this affternoon I rran it 6-7 tidmes and I'm still with the problem.

thank you

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
It was a fix from Microsoft for issues with installing MSE. There are many different reasons for the installation issue so it is a process of elimination. I'll discuss this further with my instructor and then post back with more instructions.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Here is a Microsoft article with multiple steps to work to attempt to work through to fix this error code. If for some reason you make it to Step 6 without being able to resolve the issue (contact customer support) based off responses from this in the Microsoft community posts, it is actually suggested to reformat or choose a different antivirus program. Avast would be my recommendation, if you'd like to go that route.

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok. I will try it. I'll post with my result. other than that, is my malware problem solved? or we have more to go.

thank you

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
We are actually done with the malware removal process, everything from the last OTL scan looks good. If you continue to have issues with the MSE installation those in the Software Applications forum here may have other ideas, just make sure to link them to this topic so they know what we have tried already. So now the fun part...

Congratulations and Good Work, It looks like your log is clean. :thumbsup:

Please reply to acknowledge that you have seen this message, otherwise the topic will remain open for 2 days. Within those two days if you encounter any issues you hadn't previously noticed, just let me know and we'll take care of it, otherwise the topic will be closed.

Now for some final "housekeeping" procedures.

Step 1 - Create a New Restore Point

• So that you know you have a good uninfected restore point, Click on the Start buttonPosted Image and go to the Control Panel
  • In the Search Box on the right-hand side type System Protection
  • Next choose Create a restore point
    Posted Image
  • Choose a name for the new restore point and then Click Create
    Posted Image
  • When it finishes it you should get a dialogue box stating "The restore point was created successfully." Then click Close, and then Click Ok to close the Systems Properties Box.

Step 2 - Delete Old Restore Points

Just in case you need to use System Restore sometime in the future, you need to delete all the restore points except the one we just made so you don't accidentally restore back to a time when the computer was infected. Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start buttonPosted Image. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
  • Click the More Options tab

Posted Image
  • Under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up.

Posted Image
  • In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete.

Posted Image
  • When the next Disk Cleanup dialog box opens, click Delete again.

Posted Image
  • When it is finished, click OK.

Step 3 - OTL Cleanup
  • Open OTL
  • Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so.

The following is general advise for keeping your computer malware free in the future. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anti Malware Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware This is an excellent Anti-Malware product. It offers free malware scanning, free malware removal, and free updates. It is recommended to periodically run a Quick Scan to keep your PC as clean as possible. Remember to check for updates before running a scan, so click the Update tab along the top, then click Check for Updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Antivirus Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always make sure you have an antivirus program! If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch programs here are some recomendations: Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast! Antivirus both are FREE to use. Please remember that you can only have one Antivirus installed at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Firewall Programs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch, Comodo Personal Firewall and Sunbelt Personal Firewall are two good options for a FREE firewall to help protect your computer from any unwanted intruders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Staying Updated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping your PC updated is important to protect yourself against future infections. There are many infections which will exploit loopholes within Windows itself, Java and Adobe Reader. Keeping these updated is a very good habit to get into.

Automatic Updates Updates to your Operating System are vital in closing loopholes and fixing bugs which some infections exploit. To keep your Windows updated, ensure that 'Automatic Updates' is enabled on your PC so updates are downloaded and installed automatically. Click here to find out how.

File Hippo Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alternate Browsers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using an alternative web browser can help protect your PC from infections which exploit security holes within Internet Explorer. They can also be quicker to load pages and offer more tools and features such as Firefox's huge add-on list.

Firefox - My personal choice, easy to use and has a large number of excellent add-ons that can be installed to help keep you away from malicious sites and reduce advertisements and popups etc. AdBlockPlus and WOT are very useful add-ons that are worth having installed.

Google Chrome - Is another browser that's easy to use and is worth trying if you want to test out new browsers.

Happy surfing! :wave:

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I thought that I was never going to reach this point. none of the steps helped with MSE so I installed u-verse mccafee. one last questio, a few back postings you had me running sfc /scannow to fiix corrupted files. can I ran this once in a while as maintainace tool? also, can you recommend a good free juhk/cache cleaner.........

thank you for all your help and patience

Edited by rigs, 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
The SFC /scannow command is done when required and is generally very rarely required. As for cleaning junk/cache files I would recommend either TFC or CCleaner. Keep in mind that CCleaner does have a registry cleaner and that is NOT recommended, just it's use for removing of temporary files. Registry cleaners can do more harm than good for a computer.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.