Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disc drive not showing windows 7 pro

• Please log in to reply

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have an OEM version of windows 7 installed on my acer laptop and my dvd drive is not showing on my computer etc.

I have done the "fix it" option on the Microsoft site and also followed the regedit for upper and lower registry (neither were present)

if I put a disc in, the drive shows for a short while then stops and the window on the desktop disappears

am not nearly geeky or techy enough to have any idea what to try next.......

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 02:22 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Wendy.

If, at any given moment in time, you double left click (assuming right handedness) on Computer, presuming the Computer icon is on your Desktop, do you see the optical drive?

Intermittent faults are hard to diagnose but initially this sounds, by what you say, to be an optical drive circuit board issue.

If you have not dropped the laptop and no one has had it apart then it's fairly reasonable to rule out an optical ribbon cable issue.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you loads for replying... very much appreciated

it either doesn't show...or if it does ( if I insert a dvd disc) it says application not found if I click it....

if I do get it to show (by inserting a dvd) and I click on the properties it shows 2 drives although I only have one...one says disc drives whilst my own slimline says cd/dvdrom drive , I do not have another dvd drive, external or otherwise

says drivers up to date

it does not show in the device manager... no yellow icon it is simply not listed

it has not been dropped or any other mishap..... but I did install the windows 7 the other day ( I hated windows 8) as a clean install and this problem has occurred since then?

one other point that MAY be helpful.... it will play a straight forward dvd, but I cannot install software from a disc...it just slows and stops at a certain point then the drive disappears from all lists again.......

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 09:10 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

In your case I would start by checking the drive try to boot from the Windows 7 DVD does it boot ok?

If it boots ok them the problem is most likely with windows, try to Check Windows System files integrity
  • open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the following command and press Enter:
    sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.
  • In the elevated command prompt, type:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • Close the elevated command prompt.
  • Attach to your post the sfcdetails.txt file that was just placed on your Desktop
  • You can safely delete the sfcdetails.txt file afterwards if you like.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
hi, the scannow function was the first thing I tried, sorry I should have said. It found no errors just so frustrating and you forget when you are trying to explain the problem.... :-( apologies sleepydude

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 09:47 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

hi, the scannow function was the first thing I tried, sorry I should have said. just so frustrating and you forget when you are trying to explain the problem.... :-( apologies sleepydude

Hi,

Any errors fixed? What is the result if you boot from the DVD?

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
how do I boot from disc? I assume you do not mean to reinstall lol......sorry if I seem really blonde :-(

there were no errors on scannow.....

http://support.micro...kb/982116/en-gb

when I followed the instructions above the fix it option said their were errors which were fixed.......it did not make one iota of difference

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 10:01 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

how do I boot from disc? I assume you do not mean to reinstall lol......sorry if I seem really blonde :-(

No need to reinstall for now, you can start the process and cancel at first prompt without doing any changes to the installed windows.
Put the Windows 7 DVD on the drive and restart the machine, normally there is a key to press during boot to access the Bios Boot Menu (try F12) where you can select boot from DVD.

When you get to this screen
Posted Image
Close the window and confirm you want to cancel the installation.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
hi yep, it boots from disc so did as you said and cancelled install.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What exact model of Acer machine is this Wendy?

Advertisements

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Its an acer inspire 5738Z.

I did go to the acer website with model number, serial number etc but could see nothing for cd/dvdrom drivers. Contacted Acer but no reply other than automated.

in case its relevant... the machine had vista pre installed but with an option to upgrade to windows 7 which I did. I recently upgraded (through Microsoft download) to windows 8 which I hated as too many things not compatible with it for me.

I then purchased a full OEM copy of windows 7 and installed it(clean install) .... everything seems ok except for this blasted dvd drive issue !!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Lets see if the Windows Event Viewer show something useful...

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
this is the log......Attached File  minitoolbox log.txt   8.57KB   255 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

this is the log......Attached File  minitoolbox log.txt   8.57KB   255 downloads

The log show some problems with the cdrom lets force windows to reinstall the controllers and see how it goes.

• Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  • right click every entry there and select Uninstall
  • uninstall all the devices without accepting to reboot except on the last one
On restart windows will reinstall all the drivers, this can take some time wait until windows asks you to restart again.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi, did as you suggested and rebooted. Still no dvd drive showing.... checked in device manager ad no yellow warning icon showing so assume all drivers reinstalled : :confused:

just gone into properties etc.....this is the message that now appears...

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

the device has not been disconnected nor anything done to it????????

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 12:29 PM.