Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sort of working please help

• Please log in to reply

liam_D

liam_D

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is my first home built computer and everything seemed to go in fine (using the instructions)
but with all drives and things plugged in all i had was the motherboard LED on and the PSU fan turned for 1/2 a second, i have now removed all drives all that is left is 2 RAM cards, CPU and CPUcooler and like that fans turn and light up but with re-connecting it does not work any help?
this is with no casefans and or SSD or HDD attached too

motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 ATX
PSU: Corsair 600 Watt Builder Series CX 600 Modular Power Supply
CPU: AMD FX8-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8 Core AM3+ 4.0GHz 16MB 125W
CPU cooler: Zalman LQ315 Ultimate Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: corsair 16gb 2x8gb ddr3 1600mhz cl10 vengeance red performance desktop-memory-kit
graphic cards: Gigabyte GeForce GT 630 810MHz 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

i think that is all the relevant info :S please help

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday liam_D, Posted Image
Make sure the GPU is removed.
A few items for you to check.
The RAM is in the correct slots and is firmly seated with the locking tabs at each end completely closed.
You have two power cables connected to the MB, one 20/4 pin and one 4/4 pin (usually top left, just above the CPU.
You have case wiring power and reset plugs on the correct pins.

Power on, If your computer stays on. Shut down, install the GPU, test again.

If OK, connect the case fans, the optical drive and the SSD, Do not connect any other HDDs until you have installed the OS.

EDIT. and of course the monitor.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
1.00 AM here, so signing off, back in the morning.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i did exactly that, and now the motherboard just sort of pulses on and off, doesn't matter if i hit the power button on the front anymore as soon as it is connected it pulses on and off.
i am using anti static bands and stuff so i don't think it would be static damage (just putting it out there)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
You will need to do some troubleshooting, starting with the easiest.

You may have a short on the MB, usually caused by Stand-off/s or foreign object under the board.

Unplug from the mains.
Remove all cabling from the MB except the CPU fan plug.
Remove the MB and place on a piece of cardboard a bit larger than the board. Keep it as close to the case as possible.

Inspect the stand-offs, they should match exactly the the pattern and number of screw holes in the MB. no extra ones. Check there are no loose screws or bits of wire hanging about.

Remove the RAM.
Connect the two power cables. The CPU cooler is installed. Check the CPU fan plug is connected to CPU fan header.

Connect to the mains and switch on the PSU.
With a small bladed screw driver, briefly short out the PWRSW pins, MB manual, page 24. The CPU should start and keep running.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i do that and the fans turn on, what noise should the cpu make to suggest it is on? although that is a significant improvment from pulsing :D
sorry for late reply btw, i was at work. what do i have to do next? or is it just put it all back together

Edited by liam_D, 13 August 2013 - 09:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello

I will chime in while iammykyl is offline if that is ok;

Are you certain that the Ram that you have is compatible with your MB as I don`t see it when I check the MBs QVL, see my canned text below;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

MB QVL

Directions for a barebones set-up when troubleshooting a new build;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i inserted a single stick of ram and again the light comes on as normal and the fan and cooler pump both start, i have no idea what noise to exepct from the cpu (but im starting to think there is not one)
i will be late returning as i have a family birthday event to attend sorry for any inconvenience

Edited by liam_D, 13 August 2013 - 10:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

i have no idea what noise to exepct from the cpu (but im starting to think there is not one)

The CPU does not make a noise, are you possibly thinking about a BIOS speaker that some MBs have, see example in the attachment below, your MB does not appear to have one, see second attachment below;

We are going to have to start again with this so that we know where you are up to;

Is the MB and all other hardware still outside of the case.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes it is, currently the only things connected at the cpu power, mb power, cpu fan and cooler and 1 RAM stick

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

yes it is, currently the only things connected at the cpu power, mb power, cpu fan and cooler and 1 RAM stick

In addition to the above please insert the single stick of Ram into the slot that is the nearest to the CPU, insert the add on video card into pci-e slot 1 also the nearest one of the pci-e slots to the CPU, attach the monitor to the video card, attach a keyboard and mouse to the MB (use the wired PS2 type if you have them) turn on the power to the monitor and PSU and activate the MB the way that you have done previously, let us know how this goes please.

As an asides if you need to be somewhere else for a while don`t worry do the above when you can, I am around for a few hours yet and no doubt iammykyl will be back online before I sign off.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok the keyboard and mouse both have power, the monitor (connected to the graphic card with an hdmi cable) shows nothing though, the graphic card does have a driver disk if that is relevant though
EDIT: other graphic card worked fine i have A BIOS window up
"the current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device, click OK to enter the BIOS display"

Edited by liam_D, 13 August 2013 - 12:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
At least you are making progress and well done for trying the other video card :thumbsup:

I suggest that for now you stick with the known working video card so that you can get the other hardware checked out and the OS installed onto the HDD, are you ok with reassembling the hardware back into the case and have you checked that any stand offs (if used) are in the correct locations.

Can I ask whether or not your GT630 video card requires an additional power connection from the PSU, these are commonly the 6 pin pci-e type connection.

liam_D

liam_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i'll turn it off and re-insert it into the case, no the graphic card does not need external power the board covers it and what is the next step after it is in the case?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

and what is the next step after it is in the case?

Please be patient and do not rush with anything or you are heading for disaster :(

Reassemble everything inside the case with the exception of the new video card, turn on the power and let us know if you get a BIOS screen etc.