Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant start xp in any mode

• Please log in to reply

mark R

mark R

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, new to the forum. My problem is that I cannot start XP Pro in any mode, either normally, in safe mode or from disk. It wont even let me re- install. It just flips out t a blue screen. Sometimes it will get as far as checking disck c, then flip out, or checks disk, then flips out.

If I can start it, fix it or reinstall it, what do I do. I even put another hard drive in but the same happened. Its as if windows does not want to go on to the motherboard?

Its a pc I built myself and has worked fine so far. On the night before it stopped working, IE kept crashing. I went on to the internet before shutting down and my virus scanner updated virus databas. I use Avast?

The only clue it gives me is the: Driver irql is not less or equal. Also A driver has corrupted the memory management system PTE's. I think its a grahics driver, but how can I get in to sort it out. In the ld days one would use DOS. But now?????

Any ideas folks? :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go here to run Windows Installation CD - repair the current installation

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Keith. Its a funny one this. Managed to run windows again by emoving one strip of ram. It runs but not well. Tried to repair but its stelling me a graphics driver is causing the problem. I installed all drivers again but no better. I think maybe either the on board graphics or the graphics card have gone defective. I will soldier on, and thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if there are updated drivers from the manufacturers site

Get Everest Home if you need information for the PC

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to computer then summary to look for video adapter

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow thanks this is very good. :tazz:

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK Keith, I think I am going to have to reformat my HD and start agaion as it will not start, reload or do anything in any mode. I think I can reformat using the windows disk. Is the command format c?

Thanks

mark :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to change the setting in BIOS set up to change the boot priority to CD ROM Drive. Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete right after the beep until you get the BIOS set up screen, look for boot priority to change it, press the F10 key to save changes, press enter, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot.

Then you get press any key to run from CD ROM, then the XP CD will run set up

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, thats the problem, it will not even re install, so im going to reformat.

Wish me luck :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I went by the earlier post where you had Windows running with some memory removed.

You could do this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi keith. Its all rather sad really. I reformatted. No problems there. So now there couldnt be any software issue. Then time to reload, and guess whar. IRQL not less not even. ;) So, removed one set of ram. Tried to reinstall and off we go. Left the computer for about 20 mins to get on with it, onlly to return with it hanging at about 20%. A terrible smell and a red hot processor. Melted the botton of the cpu fan. Now nothing works. I think it fried the motherboard, and the cpu. So thats it for that one, and it was all only about 2 months old. It all worked fine for about the first 2 months and now this.

I am holding a memorial service on sunday :tazz:

Thanks for help and advice. Dont know what else to say really.

mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's unfortunate to say the least, but it must have been an inherent fault, which would have developed in to this without the format, so I would be inclined to take it to the shop and show it to them, maybe you want to leave out the bit where you removed the memory etc, and say you went to format and it did this.

mark R

mark R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I built the pc myself with bits I bought as seperates. I do suspect the motherboard tho, but then again could be a ram problem. I have heard of new components failing quite soon after they were installed. I will try to find someone who will test each part and see what I can salvage.

Thanks for the help.

mark :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If anything shows a fault, contact the manufacturer and tell them it toasted the machine