Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get my BIOS startup screen back?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My BIOS is Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/08/2003. XP Home SP3

My computer was new in 2003 and 8 years passed when the BIOS screen suddenly appeared which was very nice as it gave a lot of info and I could easily enter the BIOS. To continue to boot up just press F1.

Some months back it disappeared after doing a defrag and other maintenance things but just as suddenly came back.

Lastly I went back to factory settings which proved unstable and couldn't get SP3 etc. Luckily I had a clone of the disk so got back to my previous setup but with no BIOS startup screen.

Phoenix doesn't seem to have a support to help here and I'd like it back - can anyone advise please?

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Use the Advanced menu to set various boot and DOS-mode functions.
Factory settings are shown in red.
Posted Image

Source: BIOS_KW3_rev1_01.pdf

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Wonderful link - thank you. Can't say more!

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Unfortunately a difficulty has arisen.

I noted that the version described was not the same as mine but assumed the general info would be broadly similar but pressing F2 on startup did not enter my BIOS.
The copyright on that download PDF for BIOS Setup Utility is for NEC Computers SAS but altho there is much on them from googling there seems no mention of Phoenix nor about BIOS. Probably the Phoenix connection has been broken for some time as is many of their phone numbers.
I found one NEC email add. for support so will wait to see if any reply.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
BIOS Access Keys for Major BIOS Manufacturers (Phoenix, Award, AMI, etc.)

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks again skifxr.

I tried F1,F2 and F3 with no result but I've found Del did the trick. It gives all the BIOS tricks but it is not the same screen I used to get automatically on start up. That screen showed, among other usual things, the empty drive slots, 2nd primary empty, 1st & 2nd slave empty etc. The background was black and the word Phoenix in yellow in 'artistic' script flowing across the top. I'm happy with 'Del' though.

I've just thought of a possible explanation although I cannot be positive if it is a coincidence or not. For about 3 years my CMOS battery was flat. I didn't bother to change it, just adjusting the DATE AND TIME on each boot up - gave no problems. I put in a new one around the time of cloning back my HDD so was that the time I lost that BIOS screen on boot up? And did that BIOS screen appear when the battery went flat? It didn't appear for many years perhaps at the time of battery demise. Do you think there's anything in this? I should try to take out that battery to see what happens but not now.

Edited by Plutox, 15 August 2013 - 07:50 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
When the bios battery goes flat you will have a few issues. It messes up your MS updates for one.
Also when it is flat you will get the "to continue press F1". So check that battery. If a new battery does not do the trick, then you would most likely be looking at a board.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
123Runner, how exactly does it mess updates up? :unsure:

Plutox, when you removed the battery the BIOS resets to the default settings. Don't remove it again or you will have to adjust the BIOS settings to your liking again.

Edited by skifxr, 15 August 2013 - 10:58 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

123Runner, how exactly does it mess updates up?

. It happens if the operator does not set the system clock properly. A lot of individuals do not recognize the date and time being off. There have been posts about updates not installing properly due to this.