Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get a network printer!

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have two computers that I want to share a printer. My computer is attached to a Cisco E3000 router by an ethernet cable; my wife's is by a wireless adapter. Both are on W7.

I tried to set the Canon MX882 to work by WIFI. Set up was easy enough, but the computers couldn't find it.
I then tried putting it on one computer with a USP cable and setting up a homegroup to share it. Again, setting it up was easy, and at first my wife's computer could see my computer, but very quickly they both claimed no other computer was in the group. I tried everything in trouble shooting, including sychonizing the clocks, but nothing helped.
Finally I set it up on an ethernet cable going to the router.
On my computer that worked fine. My wife's computer couldn't find it until I put it in manually using the IP address. Then everything worked fine and I went to bed.
When I turned the computers back on, it said the printer was off line. When I deleted it and reinstalled it it was okay except stuff like ink levels and scanning that worked yesterday don't work today. I haven't tried my wife's computer, but I expect it is gone there also.

All I want to do it share the printer. All three of these should work, but none do. Since the homegroup has nothing to do with the printer, I presume it is an operating system problem.

What do I do?

I also want to share our checkbook file between the two computers, so it would be nice to get the homegroup working, but I will settle for the printer.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Do you have some antivirus software with firewall that could be blocking the communication between the devices?
Something that could eventually help is to set a fixed IP address on the printer this way the PC's can connect always to the same IP.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hi,

Do you have some antivirus software with firewall that could be blocking the communication between the devices?
Something that could eventually help is to set a fixed IP address on the printer this way the PC's can connect always to the same IP.

The only firewall is the one that came with W7, unless there is one built into the router that I don't know about.
The printer's IP address is the same today as it was yesterday.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

The only firewall is the one that came with W7, unless there is one built into the router that I don't know about.

The firewall on the router usually will not interferer with the internal communications only from/to the internet.
Check if the windows firewall is set to Work Network or Home instead of Public. Also you could try to disable the firewall temporarily to see if it does any difference.

The printer's IP address is the same today as it was yesterday.

Did you check if there are new drivers for the printer on the Canon website?