Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problems

• Please log in to reply

StElaina

StElaina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For awhile my computer worked, and then it started blanking out into a blue screen that said:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

and then a lot of other things. And then one day it stopped letting me get on windows at all. It would start loading up normally (I have an hp pavilion laptop) and it would get to a certain point and give me a blue rectangle in the center of the screen titled Boot Device, giving me the options of Hard Disk, CD-ROM/DVD, Diskette A or Internal LAN as my boot options. None of them do anything except Internal LAN, but all that does is bring me to the part of the loading process I had been interruted at before and then return me to the Boot Device screen.

My friend suggested I hit delete as soon as the computer started loading, and that let me go into Windows and use it perfectly. But in the middle of the night, my laptop shut down, and now it's back to the point where it won't start anymore, and now delete doesn't do anything. I also tried pressing F8, but that doesn't let me get any closer either. Now all I can get up to is the black Windows loading screen before the blue screen telling me windows discovered a problem flashes up and I have to restart my computer.

I really don't know that much about computer at all, could anyone tell me what I could do to fix this?

Edited by StElaina, 07 June 2005 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look here

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Use either the Recovery Console or Windows Installation CD - Repair the current installation

StElaina

StElaina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts