Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wouldn't turn on - Now wont Format

• Please log in to reply

Harryuk

Harryuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

Im at my wits end at the moment. Im very close to taking it into a repair shop but it's an absolute last resort as Im low on funds.

Ill make the problem(s) as simple as I can, straight to the point as it were.

Firstly:

During the hot weather (no idea if the heat is relevant or not) my PC all of a sudden wouldn't turn on. It simple went into an endless cycle of restarting itself. (got just past the Windows logo screen, had a brief flash of a blue screen and restarted)

I did a bit a research into the problem; one of the solutions was to try a Format of the hard drive.

Second:

So, I proceeded to do the Format from a dvd disk. (done many times before with no problems) It gets various ways through the Format and comes up with an error and says the Format was unsuccessful. (without doing it again I cant remember the exact error message but it was something about the hard disk corruption of fault)

Could these two problems be connected? If so is there anything I can do to fix it?

Any help very much appreciated!!

(mu knowledge of this kind of thing is limited, but Im by no means a pc novice)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Laptop or Desktop?
Make and Model number?

Could be heat related. Are all the fans turning? Are they clean, no dust bunnies.

Could also be a hard drive problem. Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

7 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics