Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts off & On

• Please log in to reply

Shawn-Marie

Shawn-Marie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Gateway computer is only 5 months old and when I tried to get on it today it turns on goes to logo sits there for several seconds and shuts off then comes back on sits on logo screen then shuts off. It repeats the cycle until I turn it off manually. Called Gateway since it is still under warranty. The person on the phone had me do a couple of things to see if we could fix it but we couldn't so then I was told it is a problem with the operating system and that wasn't covered under warranty that I needed to purchase a erecovery disc for $19.95. At least I think that is what he said because I could barely understand him. Is there anything else I can do other than purchase this disc plus shipping then wait 5 to 10 business days in order to get my computer working again?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the complete model number? It most likely has a built in Recovery partition that you can access by pressing one or more keys during boot. We can check the online Users Guide to see if it has one and how to use it.

This will cause loss of all data so if there is anything on it you don't want to lose, let me know and we'll find a way to back it up first.

Shawn-Marie

Shawn-Marie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The model number is NV52L23u
I'm not worried about losing anything saved I can always redo it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Before you do anything else, try this: How to Refresh Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Otherwise, according to their web site:

Use the following steps to start the system recovery:

Restart the computer.
When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.
Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer may reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.

Shawn-Marie

Shawn-Marie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I hit the left alt and F10 keys. The screen went completely blank and then just shut itself off. I know you said Acer logo and my computer is a Gateway so I don't know if that makes a difference. Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Acer own Gateway.

Try the refresh.