Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan stays on after shut down

• Please log in to reply

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
hey all, thanks in advance for helping ;)

I've got this semi-new computer(about 1 month old), its case is one of those smaller than usual ones and from what i know it's got two fans(coz i heard from somewhere small cases are more prone to overheat problems?? O.o i dunno..)... anyway, maybe this is not the point.. the point is that, occasionally, when i get the computer to shut down, the fans kept running.. at first i thought could this be some sort of feature that helps the computer cool down.. but then the fan never seem to stop unless i press the restart button and shut down the computer all over again.... :tazz:

can someone please give me a hand on this? I have no idea whether this is normal or not...i've only just started with using windows xp so i'm not sure if this is something xp does... (which i doubt...) O.o

thanks very much

Edited by HappyTomato, 07 June 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Happytomato. Welcome to Geeks to Go. You said the computer is new, you had it only 1 month. I would think it should be under warranty. Have you taken this issue up with the manufacturer or the vendor you bought it from? I would suggest starting there. No, windows xp does not shut down they way you describe. Once you go to start, shut down it should shut down the system completely.

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
>__< unfortunately I bought it overseas... which means it would become difficult with this method of bringing it back to the manufacturer.. and actually the computer was built from parts bought, it wasn't one of those package things u get from Dell or HP etc etc.. so when u talk about warranty, i don't even know which part has gone wrong..

does anyone know what could be the problem? or has it gone so serious to a point where i really need to bring it back to the manufacturer? (even in that case i probably wont be able to bring it back to the manufacturer.. so I may need to pay someone to look at it) >.,<

thanks again for any help

Edited by HappyTomato, 08 June 2005 - 05:53 AM.

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Search your pc's CMOS, usually there's something like "fan off on shutdown" and enable it (or disable, depending on what it says".

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
hm.. I went into the CMOS options menu and found a couple of options that may be relevant... but i'm not sure what exactly each of them means.. can someone please give me a hand on this? *_*"

Here are the two options that looks relevant.. but what are the difference between the two?

-- Cpu warning Temperature (currently DISABLED, but i can choose to set it between a range of temperatures)

--- Smart CpuFan Function (currently ENABLED at the option of "70C/158F")

if, with my current options, the fans will stay on whenever temp exceeds the ones i set to, how come they don't seem to turn off if and when the cpu has supposedly cooled down?

thanks so much for the help again.. :tazz:

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
the smart cpu function allows the board to regulate the fan speed according to the system's heat. What is your motherboard model ?

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
oh.. hm.. O.O geez... i'm no expert in this.. >_< how can i check my motherboard model??

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
as soon as it boots it shows the board model, also you can post your bios version (in windows run dxdiag, it shows there)

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok.. i ran dxdiag and this is what it says under BIOS..
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

but i'm still not sure what to look for when i reboot, can u tell me some specifics to look for? like, in what format it will be etc.. is it a model number? or a model name? etc etc.. (coz i'd hate to miss it the first time and have to reboot again.. ^_^" )

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
all i needed was the bios version :tazz: . Go to Power Management Setup (in the CMOS) and check the options. Turn on ACPI and check "CPU fan off in suspend"

Advertisements

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
:tazz: i tried to do what u said but there were no options that says "CPU fan off in suspend", also, there was an option that says ACPI Suspend Type, but it's not for turning on or off, there are options like "S1(pos)", "S3(str)" and "S1&S3" (it's currently set to "S3(str)"... O.o .. i took a picture of what options that screen has but i didn't post it here coz i'll need to upload it somewhere which will be a hassle.. but i'll figure something out if you really need to see that screen...

btw so at the end i didn't change any options.. coz i couldn't match it up with anything you mentioned... ;)

Edited by HappyTomato, 09 June 2005 - 05:40 AM.

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
oh.. silly.. haha. i could also just type up the list if you need it. no need for the photos etc.. :tazz:

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
what menus does your CMOS have ?

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
During POST (before you see the win boot screen) you can press the " pause" button on your keyboard. It should be located near the lamps that indicate the locks.

HappyTomato

HappyTomato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
here is the list of the options that are under the "Power Management Setup" option you asked me to go to...

ACPI Suspend Type
Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume
Video Off Method
Video Off In Suspend
Suspend Type
MODEM Use URQ
Suspend Mode
HDD Power Down
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN
CPU THRM-Throttling
Resume by PCI RME
Resume by Ring