Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc Computer Temperature

• Please log in to reply

Annoyance

Annoyance

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi All

My System is a Desktop eMachines EL1358, I have made no internal hardware changes but have got an seagate external hard drive attached but has been for a while.

normally when a check my system using Speccy from Piriform my temperatures at highest are 40oC to 45oC across the board no higher but lately when I check I am seeing temperatures at highest 69oC.

even idle they could be as much as 50oC to 55oC the high points granted is when i am playing a flash game on facebook or capturing video so maybe high tempertures are to be expected just never seen these so high before.

so what I would like to know is this:

1) Should I worry about these temperatures
2) if so what could be wrong ( possible causes)
3)Solutions ( i know some causes will make solution easy) nevertheless I would like to know.

Finally thanks in advance to all that looks in

Regards
Paul

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi
Things I would check first would be have I added any new software? that may be putting extra strain on things.
Is dust blocking anything causing heat build up.
Are all the internal fans working as they should be.
I would turn the pc off and unplug the external drive and reboot and then check temps again ruling in or out the external HD.
I would run a scan with my AV to check for anything and drop an otl log into the malware forum here.
If all that's OK I would give my PC a bit of a clean up removing all junk and temp files, then run a Defragment and disk check.
:thumbsup:

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Dust could be the main reason for increase in temps. Depending how long you had your PC dust may be a factor.

Brand names often use minimum thermal paste on the CPU so if your PC looks clean of dust and you have not added any other hardware to your PC then maybe your thermal paste is not doing it's job properly.

If you have an addon video card I would also check the temperatures of it, sometimes an overheating GPU will cause heat inside your case that affects your CPU temps but usually it should be a minimum change.

Also your PSU (Power Supply) can also create lots of heat.

Also check your CPU usage if a program or other not welcome process (Virus or malware) makes your cpu works hard all the time may bring your temps up.

But a difference of 20 degress like you are saying is usually dust on the fan or a lack of good Thermal Paste to transfer the heat, over time paste can dry up specially if very little was used to start with.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 August 2013 - 05:52 AM.

Annoyance

Annoyance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi All

Thanks for your replies

I will go with it being dust or fan trouble ..this kinda went on what I was thinking did not think of the thermal paste issue though so when I get round to looking at this I will re-apply some.

The Problem is this PC is still within an extended guarantee it still has the sticker on the back so not sure if I open it I will lose it. I do not think it serious enough to call them out.

was really just checking if this was something I needed to look at.

Thanks again

Paul