Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio Crackles after a day of being on

• Please log in to reply

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
So I've noticed that every time I leave my system on for a long period of time (usually a day) any audio thats being sent out to my speakers (or headset) is being crackled or the audio stops for a split second. In order to fix this I need to reset my PC. I'm tired of doing this every day, please Help me out.

My Layout
Motherboard 3.5 Output > 3.5mm Cable > TV Monitor (with 3.5mm input)
Motherboard USB Output > USB > Digital Audio Control Box > Headset <---- Tritton AX Pro

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hello SJ Danny

Possible causes include heat and static electricity, a build up of dust can be responsible for both, when if ever was the last time that the computer was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Please provide information about your actual computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It is a Custom Built Computer that I built this June.

I bought a ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard it has a:
TUF Thermal Armor with Flow Valve - Total Airflow-Boosting Heat Dissipation
TUF Dust Defender - Repel the Dust, Expand the Lifespan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
A new high end MB rules out dust then.

What are the PSU and video card details please.

Can I ask whether or not you have any wireless devices such as a cordless phone near the computer, is the computer plugged straight into the wall socket, a UPC or a power strip.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Sorry for taking forever to respond.

PSU: Corsair AX850
Video Card: EVGA GTX 670 FTW

No wireless devices next to my Computer or monitor.
Computer is plugged into a Power Strip

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
No worries we understand there can sometimes be a delay as we all have other commitments such as family and work.

The PSU and GPU are again both high end and so less likely to be the cause, the power strip may be worth a check, how many and what other items of hardware are plugged into the power strip and left permanently with power going to them.

Next time that you power down the computer disconnect the power strip from the wall socket and check how warm/hot it is to the touch, the same with the plugs connected to it.

Can I ask what provides the audio to your speakers and headset as in is it the MBs integrated audio chip, an add on sound card or from the add on HD video card.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, so I have a Power Strip with a total of 8 Outlets 2 are currently unused. 5 of them are on whenever im my computer: TV (used as Monitor), PC, Keyboard, Router, and Tritton Headset.

I turned everything off, and pulled the Power Strip Socket out of the wall and it was cold. I checked my PC and everything else that was connected to the strip and they all seemed cold.

Im using Integrated Motherboard Chip. 3.5mm thats directly connected to Motherboard for my TV Speakers. and Im using the USB from the Motherboard to directly connect to my Tritton Headset.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
There would not appear to be any overload on the power strip or it would at least be warm as would the other plugs.

Can you check what audio drivers are installed please http://www.howtogeek...s-the-easy-way/

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Not sure if this is what you wanted.

HDAudBus.sys
HdAudio.sys
usbaudio.sys
nvhda64v.sys
portcls.sys

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Not sure if this is what you wanted.

HDAudBus.sys
HdAudio.sys
usbaudio.sys
nvhda64v.sys
portcls.sys

Sorry but that was not the information I was looking for, your MBs audio is provided by the Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio Codec however your video card has it`s own Nvidia High Definition Audio built in, I am only looking at possible causes and things for you to check and rule out here, check the Device Manager for brand name audio drivers if you will please.

An example of the problems that having more than one audio driver installed can cause http://www.evga.com/...1845580&mpage=1

Can I ask that on the next two occasions that you will not be using the computer over night or for a prolonged period that first you shutdown the PC as normal and remove the plug from the power outlet/wall socket, see if you get the crackles the next time that you use the same wall socket with the computer, second time please shut the computer down as you would normally but this time leave the computer connected to the wall socket and again see if you get the crackles the next time that you use the computer, this to see if there is a build up in the standby voltage.