Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem not working

• Please log in to reply

jwal001

jwal001

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, the modem in my girl friends laptop (Dell Inspiron 3500, model TS30T, running Windows 98) cannot be found. The modem was working fine, until the IT guy at School installed an Ethernet card. Now she can’t use her modem.

When in control panel> Modems, it ask what kind of modem do you want to install. I click Other then click next. It says that “There appears to be a new port or modem adapter in the computer and the wizard will determine the port’s configuration”. I ran the wizard and it detects an unknown device and then says the drivers need to be reinstalled.

Here’s my trouble in order to reinstall the drivers for the modem I need to know what kind (Make and model) of modem is in the laptop, which brings to my question.

Can anyone help me determine the modem in this Laptop?

Thanks in advance
J.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to computer then summary to look at the network information

Also click + next to devices, windows devices then click + next to network adapters

Click physical devices to look for the modem

You should now have the modem name and model

jwal001

jwal001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith,
thanks for the link!
I had been trying to find some software to determine the make and model of the modem, but kept finding programmes that did not do excatly what i wanted.
will install it on the laptop and hopefully i won't have to reply back...except to say thanks.
Cheers big ears!
J.

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Usually the modem is easily accessible via a small door by the PCMCIA slots.

If your feeling brave, take out the modem card and read the chips for any
indication who makes it.

Btw thanks Keith for the link.