Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New router - 1 PC won't connect

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hello, we installed a new router in our home network (which supposedly has better wireless features) and one PC won't connect. My PC, a couple laptops, and smartphones all connect successfully to the new router, but my father's laptop will not. It isn't that old of a laptop, as it came installed with Windows 7 and other decent specs. It is his work PC, which they use to connect to a VPN for security, but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with it as it needs a network to connect to before he can connect to the VPN. An older laptop even connected wirelessly that is running Vista.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Connect the laptop with a Ethernet cable to make sure its working properly, next check the router configuration maybe you are restricting the bands used to only 802.11g or 802.11n for example and the laptop needs 802.11a

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I got the wired connection to work. I went to the device manager and checked the wireless network card, it said:
properties > advanced > Wireless Mode > Value: 802.11a/b/g

I then went to router settings, and checked the Network Mode, which is in: 11b/g/n Mixed Mode

Any problem here?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Seems ok. Can you try this on the laptop...

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the following command and press Enter after each line:
    netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid >"%temp%\log.txt"
    start "%temp%\log.txt"

Notepad will open with a log please Copy & Paste the contents to your post.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hmm, I typed both of those commands in and pressed Enter after each, but another blank command prompt opened, not notepad.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hmm, I typed both of those commands in and pressed Enter after each, but another blank command prompt opened, not notepad.

Try this please press Posted Image on the run box type:
notepad "%temp%\log.txt"
see if it opens the log.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
It opened, thank you. Here are the contents of the "log.txt" file:

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection
There is 1 network currently available.

SSID 1 : Lemon1
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Signal : 80%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 9
Basic rates (Mbps) : 6.5 19.5
Other rates (Mbps) : 16 18 19.5 24 36 39 48 54 117 156

I left BSSID 1 blank as I assume this is the MAC address of the wireless card, or is it the MAC address of the router? I didn't think it was relevant, but can post that info if it is.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

It opened, thank you. Here are the contents of the "log.txt" file:

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection
There is 1 network currently available.

SSID 1 : Lemon1
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Signal : 80%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 9
Basic rates (Mbps) : 6.5 19.5
Other rates (Mbps) : 16 18 19.5 24 36 39 48 54 117 156

I left BSSID 1 blank as I assume this is the MAC address of the wireless card, or is it the MAC address of the router? I didn't think it was relevant, but can post that info if it is.

No problem, the BSSID is the router MAC address.

Is Lemon1 your wireless network? If it is, I would try to remove the wireless network from Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Manage Wireless Networks, turn off the wireless card, wait 5 sec. and then turn wireless on, force windows to search for new wireless networks and try to connect, windows will ask for the WPA2 pass.

Something to check is for any new driver for the wireless network card, sometimes an updated driver is needed if the router now uses a stronger encryption.

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 August 2013 - 02:32 PM.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I performed the first task as well as downloading the latest driver from Intel's website for the wireless card. Neither worked. I ran a diagnostics and during troubleshooting it says:

Problems found
"Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

It also shows that it's connected with limited connectivity and says "unidentified network".

Edited by rhymin, 17 August 2013 - 03:15 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Lets take another look...

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Advertisements

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
SleepyDude, thank you for sticking with me on this problem. I really appreciate it. Here are the results from the results log text:

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 13-07-2013
**** End of log ****

Edited by rhymin, 18 August 2013 - 04:42 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

The machine is part of a Domain we normally don't give support to machines belonging to a company because o company policies, security restrictions, etc.

Create another report with the laptop connected by Ethernet cable and compare, make sure you have IPv4 enabled on the wireless connection by checking the wireless adapter properties.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Sleepydude, that's what I suspected...that since it's a work laptop, they use their own security, protocols, etc. I edited my previous post to rid of the results.txt in case there was sensitive information involved.

I will complete the tasks tonight that you last mentioned and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you for your help!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Sleepydude, that's what I suspected...that since it's a work laptop, they use their own security, protocols, etc. I edited my previous post to rid of the results.txt in case there was sensitive information involved.

I will complete the tasks tonight that you last mentioned and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you for your help!

Ok, Thank you for understand. :thumbsup:

I suspect its only IPv4 disabled and your router/ISP doesn't support IPv6 according to the log.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
*************On a side note, I am actually going to college for networking in I.T. You might not know it because I can't solve this problem which probably seems simple to some, but I haven't had much hands-on training yet. All I've really done is read countless pages and chapters of information on many different topics. My question is, since you seem very knowledgeable on the subject, how can I get more hands on experience without the help of college or an organization? Perhaps mostly from a software aspect as I don't have the resources for expensive equipment (routers, fiber optics, etc.). Also, what other advice do you have for a person like me trying to become a network administrator?

Thank you so much for your time. *******************