Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer keeps disconnecting me from the internet

• Please log in to reply

greathollow

greathollow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i did not have this problem with the old computer...
with this new computer i keep getting disconneting every once in a while and reconnecting
i dont know what to do , it is very annoying specially while playing online!

please help

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi
First thing I would look at is my router logs and see if you can determine any thing from them. Check things like security and if it's had to restart because of an update. If your routers OK then try updating the network card.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Niyol, 17 August 2013 - 04:23 AM.

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
how do i check the router logs? and when i get disconnected its the computer , the adapter lights will still be open but i will get a red X over the connection logo in windows.
and i did download the latest network card driver yesterday , and still same thing..
ex.. when i play online i dont get disconnected i just get a big lag spike..
in skype , i dont get disconnected either i get a big lag spike..
this is very annoying please help :(

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hiya
Your right if it's a cross over the bars it's lost connection somewhere.
Are you connected wirelessly or by Ethernet cable?
Does the lag spike come at peak times?
In your first post you say you do get disconnected and 2nd you say it's just a lag spike, if there is a red cross over the net symbol you have lost all connection normally, could you clarify if you lose all connection or just suffer a sudden drop in speed? Thanks :)

All so if you know how and are confident in doing so have you tried swapping your network cards over old for new to see if that will work?

I can tell you how to find logs. But it isn't the router like you say it's the computer.
If you tell me the model of the router I'll tell you how to find logs if it holds them.

Edited by Niyol, 18 August 2013 - 03:55 PM.

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
in games yes i get a big lag spike but i dont get disconnected from the game.
but if i am surfing the net i sometimes can't load the page , the red cross appear on the network icon thing but it reconnects really fast , but still its annoying.
i am connected by ethernet cable.
the lag spikes does not come at peak times , just randomly..
the other day i skyped for an hour and about 5~6 times i got the red cross showing on the network icon , and when this happens i can't receive messages from the person i am talking to and hes video quality drop greatly.
this whole red cross thing happens for like 1 sec then re connects.
the router i use RTA 1025W but like i said before with the old pc i had no such problems.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I found this about your router seems a few others have a similar thing. So next time as soon as you lose connection look strait at the lights of the router and check them.

Some people have reported that their PPP connection drops out.
By default the RTA1025W PPP connection is set up as, Dial on demand, idle timer disconnect if no activity for 20 minutes

And also this

I had the modem for about 1.5yrs and was working fine till last october when i noticed the connection kept dropping.

Do you have another router to try?, Just to rule it out as the culprit?

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the lights doesnt drop at all when i lose connection!

and i have no idea what is static or dynamic ip address , i noob at these things.

could it be that the netcard on the mother bard isnt functioning properly?

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
A static IP is an Ip address that stays the same.
A dynamic IP address is an IP address that changes now and again.
An IP address is an ID on the internet so computer's know whos who.

If you still have your old network card and are confident that you can a fit it into your new pc then give it a try and see if the connection hold's.
But before you do that is your new PC still under warranty? If so just take it back and explain the issue.

Download Minitool box and check flush dns and list devices, only problems run that and copy and paste the data it provides into your net post.
Farbar Mini tool box

:thumbsup:

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
computer still under warrnity i brought it from where i bought it less than 2 weeks ago.
i want to be confident that the problem is in fact with this netcard , i dont want to open the pc and try putting the old card , maybe that will ruin the warrinty cover for me.
is there a possible way to know that?
could it be the ethernet cable?
because when i changed the ethernet cable slot from 1 to 4.. i stopped having disconnections, but then there was a sudden power down , and the problem of disconnection returned.
i changed the ethernet cable slot to #3 and now from the looks of it i am not getting disconnection.
i am just confused all over the place

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Don't try to swap network cards if it's 2 weeks old and your under warranty. :thumbsup:

Ok lets try this.

Do you have another router and Ethernet cable?

If not can you borrow them?

This is if you can get another router and Ethernet cable.

1st try the new router and new Ethernet cable. Does it hold connection to your new PC?
If it does not hold the connection then it is your computer and probably the network card and I'd take it back and explain the steps you went through to show it is the computer.

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i can get another ethernet cable but router thats a different story..
but i will try
but like i said before connection been holding for like 2 days because i changed slots.
so i dont know , what is the problem , why it did hold connection before and oce i changed slots it did hold.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
So it's OK now?

greathollow

greathollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well sometimes it holds on really good and then i log into a game or skype and all of a sudden lag spike , so i go back to the desktop and is see red x on the net thing =/

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I'm confused now lol...

but like i said before connection been holding for like 2 days because i changed slots

So it's not holding now?