Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Lazerjet 2100 TN on Win7 OUTDATED Driver!

• Please log in to reply

DistressedNancy

DistressedNancy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a great old printer, a workhorse, black and white, but since we attached to a Win7 (64 bit computer) it has gradually began giving us printouts that are a single line of weird at the top of a page, going endlessly but not printing the doc desired. I cancel and use another application. First Adobe PDF failed, now other applications, even FireFox has begun doing this.

The driver we had been using was for HP laserjet 2100 PCL6, though the printer says on the front HP laserjet 2100 TN.

It finally occurred to me, as the only change here is automatic Win7 updates, that my driver is the problem. Going to HP I find drivers for HP laserjet 2100 PCL6, PCL5, and all-purpose PS driver. Nothing for the HP laserjet 2100 TN. I've tried them all and they produce "error" when I try to run a doc to the printer using them.

Is this printer so old that it is no longer supported by HP? Or no longer supported for Win7 64 bit? I hesitate to use one of those download and pay scanner softward packages, as if HP does not provide a driver, I would pay and not get the issue resolved.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you look here you will find that the PCL5 driver is universal across the 2100 range of printers.

http://h20000.www2.h...5469&taskId=135

Just how old is this printer Nancy?

DistressedNancy

DistressedNancy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought it used about 10 years ago. It is a real workhorse, requires no repairs. Hate to have to replace it. Says on the front HP laserjet 2100 TN
I'm going to try the link you provided, as it starts with a page that says TN, which I had not discovered before in HP websites.
Will report in a moment ..

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok Nancy. :)

DistressedNancy

DistressedNancy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got the same frustrating results, an error. So I tried something different. Deleted all printers known to my Control Panel, unplugged the USB in the back of the computer and plugged it in again. Win7 said "oh, a newbie" and installed PCL6 driver. And it worked. I had to take several passes at this as until I deleted ALL other drivers this route did not work.

Phew.

Maybe something got corrupted?

DistressedNancy

DistressedNancy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now it even works with PDF files printed by Adobe! So meeting every challenge. Going to close and say thanks for being there as just talking about it often allows one relax and to find new routes.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome because on occasion a person sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees.