Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's dead ..

• Please log in to reply

missy1462

missy1462

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My husband kept telling me that his computer was messing up, then he packed it away from several months. I don't even remember if he said what it was doing, and neither of us remembers now. I found it while cleaning today and would like to fix it so the grandchildren can use it, but when I power it up, all it has is a white screen. No start-up sounds, nothing. The only light that is on the keyboard is on the f12 key, which shows the wireless icon. When I first hit the power button, all I hear is like one click, then it immediately goes to the white screen. The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7-6b55dx. I have taken the battery out, held the power button down for 30 seconds but still nothing. I've tried starting then hitting F8 and F10 with nothing. If I press F10 several times, the laptop will beep every time I hit F10. This is about the extent of my knowledge here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by missy1462, 17 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: missy1462

Have you tried tapping the F11 key when the notebook is first powered up as this may allow you to access the system recovery option, please note that restoring the factory settings will erase all personal data on the HDD, let us know if there is information on the HDD that you would like to try and secure.

Removing and then replacing the Ram is another suggestion to try as there may be a poor contact or a static charge build up, remove the battery/AC power adapter first, then the Ram and again press the power on button to dispel any possible charge that could have built up, an example tutorial to help with removing and reinserting the Ram http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

missy1462

missy1462

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sir, thank you so much for replying to my question, and to answer yours, nothing at all happens when I hit the any of the F keys upon startup. I think I have gone through them all one at a time just hoping for something to happen. I have also reseated the RAM, but I did not hit the power button after taking them out so I will give that a try again. My husband was telling me last night that it started with streaks running across the screen then it progressed to being white at times then going away. I have read several places that this particular model apparently had a problem with a white screen, but if that were the problem, wouldn't I still be hearing it go through the start-up beeps and hear the fan and hdd kick in? I so wish he had really gotten my attention on it when it first started messing up, because it was under warranty until January of this year and he hasn't used it probably since well before last Christmas.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update missy1462 :thumbsup:

As the screen is white in colour the inverter may need replacing, what the inverter does is control the amount of power sent to the backlight/screen, if the amount of power is too high the screen will often go white and if the amount of power is insufficient the screen goes either black or dim, if you have not done so already try connecting the notebook to an external display by way of the VGA port, if the issue is the same on the external screen it suggests that the notebooks video chip is bad and if the external display is good then the inverter and video ribbon/cable need to be checked, the inverter is the easiest of the two to check, please see Inverter replacement information etc.

You are most welcome BTW :)

missy1462

missy1462

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you sir. I have to take the grand-kids to doc appointments today, but I will try this as soon as I get home and I'll let you know the outcome this evening.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome and no worry about when you can reply as family must come first :thumbsup:

missy1462

missy1462

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I was able to hook up the monitor tonight, but not a single thing happened. The laptop still has a white screen and nothing at all showed on the external monitor (it was just black.) This good or bad?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You may need to toggle between the displays by pressing the Fn + one of the F1 to F12 keys, Fn + F4 and Fn + F5 are common combinations, some notebooks may use a single function key that has an image of a monitor etched on it.

Let us know how you get on please.