Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Youtube video out of sync with audio

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
The audio works fine on YouTube but the videos are always trying to catch up on my PC computer. So the two are always out of sync. This happens on every YouTube video, even commercials. I have searched the internet for some time now and I can't figure out why this is happening.

I have a MacBook that doesn't have this problem but I need the larger screen and sound of the PC.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what is going on and how to fix this. My operating system is Windows XP home.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This is termed a buffering issue.

What speed do you get from your ISP?

What Graphics card do you have or is it Onboard Graphics?

What amount of memory do you have?

What is your CPU size?

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
What speed do you get from your ISP? Download is 30 Mbps/upload is 4.00 Mbps. However, a speedtest shows that my download is 7.79 and my upload is 3.77

What Graphics card do you have or is it Onboard Graphics? I think it is an onboard graphics card, but I don't know for sure.

What amount of memory do you have? RAM is 2.00 GB

What is your CPU size? CPU is Pentium 4 CPU 2.08 GHz

After seeing your post, I ran the speedtest and saw that the speed was abnormally low. I called the ISP and they reset the modem. The ISP said everything was good on his end. I told him I have a router hooked up between the modem and the computer so he had me unplug the router and rerun the test. Without the router, download speed was just under 30 Mbps so we concluded the router is the culprit. My thought is to replace the router but I/m not sure if that would make a difference.

This computer is set up on a network: The internet -- > modem --> Router --> 8 port switch --> 3 computers and 2 printers. One of the computers is used as a server.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would suggest that if all the machines are on most of the time then they could be hogging the bandwidth resulting in said issue.

I mean obviously once you disconnected the router you only used your machine on the modem which ran perfectly well.

You could do with some more memory if the board will hold still for it, but how old is the router?

Have you thought about a combined Modem/Router?

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
The router is a 4 port LinkSys router purchased in 2006.

The modem I am using is furnished by the ISP. I didn't know there was such a thing as a combined router/modem.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would assume that you are on ADSL so consider this example from Netgear as your original router is getting long in the tooth so to speak.

http://www.ebuyer.co...CFafLtAodD04AaQ

You could of course ask your ISP if they provide combo's.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Thanks for the Netgear example but I can't use wireless in my building. Some of the interior walls are brick and they block the signal.

My ISP does supply combos for $10/month and a static IP. But I think I will plug a new router into the network to see if that helps.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You don't have to use the wireless aspect Highland, for example I have a combo but have my main desktop hard wired to it and when I work on laptops I use the wireless aspect.

Try a new router and let us know what happens mate. :thumbsup:

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
The router was a major problem. Before replacing it the download speed was below 8 Mbps. After a new router it is around 25 Mbps. That helped tremendously but the issue was still there only not nearly as bad.

I have since replaced my computer with one that has Core i3, 4 gb of ram and an onboard graphics card. This has made up the rest of the difference. There is no more lag between the audio and the video.

Thanks for your help Wolfeymole!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're more than welcome Highland. :thumbsup: