Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove viruses trojans etc dell windows xp media edition [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nannax4

nannax4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please can someone help... I have a dell windows xp media edition. It started running slow so I took to so called computer shop they charged me $30 bucks to check it told me has viruses trojans etc and would cost another $80. So I said ok. They had my computer for 2 days then said too many viruses etc and told me another $100 on top of that to wipe my computer clean. I know laptops can be expensive but I have seen some for $250 and have windows 7. I am not real knowledge with the inside of computer however I do know the outside and I know I dont have the money fix at the shop so I paid the $30 and need help. I dont have a cd for this computer and please if. Someone can help me save my computer. I paid over $2000 for it years ago beforepbefore went down.

Oh and they told me I did have 2 virus protection but apparently was expired thats why it ended up this way

And I dont know what these people did but now it runs slower than it did before they just looked.

Please HELP ME

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Hi! My name is Jasmyne and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm sorry you are having issues with your computer but I will do my best to resolve them as quickly as possible. I know having an infected computer is frustrating because I was once where you are now!

Please be patient with me as I am currently in training, and all of my responses to you have to be reviewed by my instructor before I post them. Just keep in mind that you get the advantage as you have 2 people examining your issue.

• You may want to print out these instructions, or copy them to a text file so that will have a copy in case you loose your connection to the internet during a removal process.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you and in perform them in the order they are posted. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask! Never be afraid to ask questions! :)
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick & Easy Fix" to most malware infections and we may need to use several different tools to get your system clean.
  • Please stick with me until I tell you that your machine is clean. If you don't see any symptoms it does not mean your system is clear of malware
  • Please don't run any other scans or other software unless I ask you to, as it will make this repair more difficult.
  • Please reply within 3 days. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!

With that all stated, let's get started! :)

First let's get a look at what is going on with your computer.

Please, download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Please check the box next to Scan All Users.
  • Make sure Use SafeList is selected under Extra Registry.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:
    netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    dir C:\ /S /A:L /C
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.