Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Starts, A short beep happens, then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Axsel

Axsel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I have a problem. Yesterday I cleaned out my computer (dust and etc.). I used damp q-tips to do so.

After leaving the computer overnight, I tried to turn it on this morning. At first, the computer starts and the computer fans spin up and slow down infinitely.

I then tried to diagnose the problem by removing the GPU. Now the computer starts, almost instantly beeps, then shuts down and does it all over again infinitely. This is still the case when I plug the GPU back in. This also still happens when I remove the RAM.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 870 Processor
Intel DP55KG Motherboard
GeForce GTX 680 GPU
8GB Ram (4x2)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Axsel, 18 August 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Axsel

Sorry to hear that you are having computer issues :upset:

Can you provide the PSU brand and model name or number for us please.

Axsel

Axsel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an Antec Earthwatts EA-750 (750W Max) Power Supply.

Edited by Axsel, 18 August 2013 - 10:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update Axsel :thumbsup:

A good quality PSU which means that it is less likely to be the cause.

For clarification can I ask what happens when all of the Ram is removed but the GPU is left in, if you get error beeps it points towards the problem being before the Ram which is most often the PSU or the MB being bad.

Have you checked that the CPU cooling fan connection on the MB is secure, only for testing purposes try connecting the CPU cooler to one of the chassis fan headers on the MB to see if the fan stays running.

Does the MB have error LEDs on it and if so what do they show.

As an asides using damp Q-tips for cleaning is not a good idea as surplus moisture can short out the MB.

Axsel

Axsel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Same thing happens. D:

Yes the fan is fine.

I've also tried re-inserting the battery into the motherboard after 15 minutes. No luck.

The motherboard's light flashes red the second it's on. It's the "cr2pr" light. Above it (it) says proc hot. I assume that means processor hot, but the cpu fan is running correctly.

And thank you for the help.

Edited by Axsel, 18 August 2013 - 08:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

One other thing that can heat the processor up is too much power from the PSU, would it be possible for you to borrow one for testing purposes, having the Antec checked out by a local tech or tech store is another option.

but the cpu fan is running correctly.

If the computer is shutting down it may not be as you cannot say for certain.

Have a check for bared wires, a possible stray screw or a loose MB back-plate as each of these can cause a system short.

Finally try disconnecting the HDD and any optical drives to see if the behavior changes.

Axsel

Axsel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've tried barebones just the motherboard and the cooling system outside of the case on some newspaper. No luck.

And the CPU fan does spin up normally before it turns off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

One other thing that can heat the processor up is too much power from the PSU, would it be possible for you to borrow one for testing purposes, having the Antec checked out by a local tech or tech store is another option.
Either of the above should be done as a priority.

I've tried barebones just the motherboard and the cooling system outside of the case on some newspaper. No luck.
Was the behavior exactly the same, can you also tell us anything else that has been done

And the CPU fan does spin up normally before it turns off.
As I said earlier you have no way of knowing if the CPU cooling fan is functioning correctly or not as like the computer it is shutting down, a faulty CPU cooling fan will cause the computer to shut down as the MBs thermal sensor will kick in when the CPU gets too hot - this to prevent the CPU frying and keep in mind what you told us earlier "The motherboard's light flashes red the second it's on. It's the "cr2pr" light. Above it (it) says proc hot." unless you removed the CPU cooling fan and heatsink and replaced them without cleaning off the old thermal paste correctly and then adding the correct fresh amount of TIM over voltage from the PSU is the most likely cause of the CPU overheating