Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Envy 17 laptop screen going white

• Please log in to reply

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I've been trying to do my own research here and solve this problem but can't seem to. Basically, my laptop screen is going white at random times and for random amount of time.

All the drivers are up to date. The laptop gets hot, but it always has for the past 3 years with no recent change to make the screen go white. When I plug the laptop into a tv via hdmi, the laptop screen will go white while the tv continues to work fine. This leads me to believe its an issue with the lcd.

When the screen goes white, I have tried opening and closing the screen to see if there's any change. This doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried gently tapping on the screen and where it connects to the computer. At 1 point, I thought this did help. I tapped the screen, and the white flickered and color came back. But other times trying this it doesn't seem to do anything.

Are there any suggestions for me? Any other self checks I can do to see if the screen is broken, or any self repair I could try and do to see if its simply a loose wire? Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome:

If the notebook is the model with an LCD screen and CCFL backlight the inverter may be responsible for the issue, the inverter controls the amount of power going to the screen and if it puts out too much power it can make the screen go white, the opposite is that it does not provide adequate power which often results in a black screen.

Good troubleshooting done already BTW as you have already ruled out the video chip as the cause and the video ribbon/cable less likely, the latter can be checked if and when the inverter is changed, a guide to help

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply phillpower2! And sorry for the slow reply- Just starting back to school.

I thought about the inverter some, but have come to the conclusion that cant be the cause as it is still whitescreening when only using battery. Maybe it could still be the cause?

I opened up the computer today and cleaned off the motherboard. I disconnected where the screen plugs into the motherboard and made sure that was clean (It seemed fine,thought everything else was dusty). I also tried turning on the computer with the keyboard unattached (still plugged in) so I could wiggle the connectors while the screen was on... this didn't seem to have any effect.

I couldn't find a video of taking the screen apart for the envy 17 (I have the first generation computer I believe, x1000 or something) so I didn't attempt this. Could it merely be a wire going out behind the screen, or the screen simply going out? I'm not sure what other issues could be causing this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries as school must come first :thumbsup:

I thought about the inverter some, but have come to the conclusion that cant be the cause as it is still whitescreening when only using battery

Not sure how you arrived at the above conclusion as the inverter is used whether you are using the battery only, the AC adapter only or when both are present on the notebook.

Maybe it could still be the cause?

There is a good chance that it is but there are other possible causes including an overheating video chip and in some cases malware, the latter you would need to have checked out over on the malware forums but if the issue still happens after you have cleaned out the inside of the notebook it points even more so to a flaky inverter.

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Gotcha! With my lack of knowledge on computers, I thought the inverter was the same as the power adapter. I must have head it be called an inverter before. So, that's making more sense now. Would there be any real way to check and see that it's the inverter and not the lcd screen? The lcd is quite expensive to replace, and i can't seem to find a simple replacement for the inverter (I'll keep looking). I don't wanna replace 1, just to turn around and figure out it's the other. You seem to be more skeptical of the inverter than the lcd... is there a reason for this?

Could it also merely be a plug coming unplugged to the inverter or the lcd? Would it be worth opening up the machine again before ordering a new piece to have on hand to replace?

Thanks again for your help!

edit: I'll go ahead and add a little more detail here on some patterns I've started to notice. At first I thought the white was completely random, but now I do see it going white a lot more often when I am playing a game on the computer, or when booting a game up (I'm not completely positive about this, but it's happened twice.) It also doesn't seem to go white any more frequently when watching a movie. Could it be something to do with the graphics card (even though it plays on a different screen fine?) or would this still make since for the inverter? Could the use of power from the graphics card be messing up the inverter at certain times?

It's an envy 17t-1000 if that's of any use. Thanks again.

Edited by Shadowmeld92, 23 August 2013 - 03:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Would there be any real way to check and see that it's the inverter and not the lcd screen?

Technically speaking no not without actually replacing one or the other, the inverter is the least expensive of the two, it is easier to replace and more prone to failure than the screen under normal use - this does not allow for accidental physical damage to the screen.

Could it also merely be a plug coming unplugged to the inverter or the lcd? Would it be worth opening up the machine again before ordering a new piece to have on hand to replace?

Absolutely yes, the MB to screen video ribbon/cable should also be checked as they can become damaged or loose from nothing more than every day use such as opening and closing the notebook top cover.

Could it be something to do with the graphics card (even though it plays on a different screen fine?)

The likelihood of this is 99.9% no as the issue would almost certainly be replicated on the external display.

or would this still make since for the inverter

As explained above it could also be a damaged or loose video ribbon/cable which will require a physical check.

Could the use of power from the graphics card be messing up the inverter at certain times?

Yes by increasing the power demand on the inverter but you have already told us "It also doesn't seem to go white any more frequently when watching a movie".

It's an envy 17t-1000 if that's of any use. Thanks again.

I didn`t find that exact reference number for the notebook but please see page 99 onwards for checking the inverter etc, see Here

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

So I've continued looking and have run into an error, in that I can't find the inverter for my computer. In the manual it shows an inverter being removed (albeit, its in the 'lcd recycling' section...) but it gives no part number. Also, in this parts listing (http://partsurfer.hp...rchText=VX197AV) it does not show an inverter. Would this mean my display does not have an inverter? I feel this can't be the case, as the computer is 3 years old and not led.

Could the inverter not be replaceable without replacing the screen? When I took the screen apart briefly to try and clean some plugs, I saw a chip that looked ~1.5-2in wide, and the length of the lcd. The power went through this. Was this the inverter? In the service manual (http://bizsupport2.a...0/c02160120.pdf) it shows to be more of a skinny little chip, only slightly longer than the camera at the top of my computer.

I see a dozen inverters on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/...verter&_sacat=0) but don't know which one would be the one (if any) to go with my computer.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is your display the same as in the attachment below;

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess I'm not positive. I keep thinking it is the same, and changing my mind back an forth. It wasn't where I was expecting it to be, but I don't think I took the screen apart quite as much as I should have... started getting nervous I would break something. I'll give it a go again, as I think the problem is getting worse.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Take a look at steps 1 to 4 at the attached (example only) link to see if the set up looks similar or the same http://www.insidemyl...-dv6000-laptop/

As an asides the information that is available for the Envy 17 is not the best :(

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Step 4 is what I was hoping to see when I took mine apart. Instead, I just saw a sheet of plastic. It really looks like there's simply not an inverter, but that doesn't make sense from what I've read.

If it take it apart again today, or this weekend, I'll try and take some pictures.

Edited by Shadowmeld92, 29 August 2013 - 12:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
From my reply #2

If the notebook is the model with an LCD screen and CCFL backlight the inverter may be responsible for the issue,

Is it possible that you have the model that does not have an inverter.

Shadowmeld92

Shadowmeld92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, I guess it is possible. It doesn't seem like this would be the case since its so old, and the lcd (I guess led screen?) does not act up at all (no dimming etc) until it simply goes white.

edit: With some more reading, I believe I do have an led screen that doesn't have an inverter... not good news for cheapness of repair i suppose? Does that leave me with having to replace the entire led, or is there a simpler fix?

Edited by Shadowmeld92, 29 August 2013 - 10:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If you are happy to check out the video ribbon/cable as the possible cause first I would do so, the next option is to have a reputable tech take a look at it for you and get their opinion, many good techs will not charge for a diagnosis, please be sure to check first as some may charge more than the price of a screen replacement which at present may not be necessary, I would also recommend a clean out of heat trapping dust - a tutorial to help with this Here