Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer termporarily freezes. Could it be my Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Good day!

I have an ASUS G74SX running Windows 7, and since re-installing windows on my new Hard Drive, the whole machine will temporarily freeze up from time to time. This only happens when I am browsing the internet on Firefox. I also get a less frequent error of my video driver crashing & recovering.

I have one question that's been bugging me since I started getting these errors. Is it possible that the freezing could be caused by my new Hard Drive? My new hard drive is a 240GB Sandisk Extreme SATA III Solid State Drive.

The reason I ask is because I would like to use that hard drive for a new computer I am building. Is there a way to test if this new SSD could be the culprit? If, in fact, this new SSD is good, I will be able to have my new computer put together even sooner, once I buy the remaining parts.

Thanks!

Also, just a description of the freezing: It's like the whole machine is on pause. Can't alt-tab, can't move the mouse, type, or anything. After a few moments it will unlock and behave as if nothing happened. Rarely the freeze will last more than a few minutes, and I will have to manually shut down the machine. Though I have never let these freezes go longer than say... 2 minutes. It's normally around 30seconds.

Edited by Mumps, 19 August 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hiya
Have you tried doing a scan disk?
Click start/Computer/Right click local disk and choose properties/Tools tab/Check now/put a tick in both box's and click start button/Then click schedule disk check and next time you boot up this will run.
You could also try opening command prompt as admin and type sfc /scannow if it finds any errors it will attempt to fix them, it helps if you have an instillation disk in the drive to as it may need files from it to fix things, it to fixes on the next boot up.
To do this just click start and type in the start menu cmd then right click cmd logo and run as administrator the just type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
You could also try a different web browser Chrome or IE10 as you say it happens when using Firefox.
I would also update my graphics driver or reinstall it if you are getting errors to see if this helps.
That's all I can suggest as I have limited knowledge, it's worth trying.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Niyol, 20 August 2013 - 03:55 AM.