Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after windows xp at start up

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

can you tell us what options are listed in the BIOS

Can you answer this please.

I can boot into the bios but the last known good configuration didn't do anything. When I try to boot into anything it goes back to the acer screen and then the Windows XP screen then black.

Just a FYI, you do not boot into the BIOS you access it, please don`t think that I am being pedantic but using the incorrect terms can be confusing and that was why I said in answer to;

I can get into BIOS but can't boot to anything there.

Not sure what you mean by you can`t boot to anything there,

Somehow, I did manage to set a HDD password

Are you completely locked out of the computer altogether now as this will determine your options and especially if the services of a reputable tech store are required.

Advertisements

aladdinsgenie

aladdinsgenie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can get in as far as the Bios, but can't go anywhere from there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I can get in as far as the Bios, but can't go anywhere from there.

And if you exit the BIOS are you asked for a password that you do not know and so you are not allowed access to the XP installation.

I ask again;

can you tell us what options are listed in the BIOS

If you are no longer getting as far as the password prompt what devices are detected and enabled in the BIOS, depending on the brand name of the HDD if the HDD is on the list it may be shown as something like ST9160314AS if a Seagate or WD2500LPVT if a Western Digital, this to see if the HDD is detected by the BIOS.