Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

caseyquiznos

caseyquiznos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I pulled the hard drive out of my laptop while looking for screws to disassemble the keyboard. The laptop is a toshiba l355d-s7809. I unplugged it and then plugged it right back in (the hard drive has no other connections, it just plugs in). When I tried to turn the computer on it told me that the computer was unable to boot, which might have been caused by a hardware or software change. I didn't change any hardware though. On the screen it said that I needed to put the installation disk in the computer and then go to language and then recover. The only disk I have is a disk with recovery drivers and applications, which will format the drive, wiping out all of my saved files and pictures from the last five years. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my computer to boot back up? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by caseyquiznos, 19 August 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi :welcome:

Can you tell me the windows you have? If its Windows 7 try this:

- Press F8 during boot and Click Repair your computer
- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

When you boot into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment the drive letter for your Windows installation may not be the same. For example, if your Windows installation is normally on the C: drive, it may not be located at the D: drive. To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"
This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

type the command:
chkdsk /f /x D:
Note: replace D: with the drive returned by the command above.

caseyquiznos

caseyquiznos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows Vista. Will this work for that OS? Thank you for your help.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Did you re-insert the screw that should have held the hard drive chassis down in its bay?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I have Windows Vista. Will this work for that OS? Thank you for your help.

Its similar check if you have the option Repair your computer its not always available...

caseyquiznos

caseyquiznos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There are two screws that hold the plastic cover over the hard drive bay. The hard drive itself has no screws holding it in place, it just snaps in and has a ribbon loop to pull it loose. When I hit f8 in startup, it doesn't do anything. It gives me two options at that screen, f2 for system utility and f8 for boot manager. In boot manager, it only has a sequence for booting up (i.e., 1.fdd 2.hdd 3. etc.)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

When I hit f8 in startup, it doesn't do anything. It gives me two options at that screen, f2 for system utility and f8 for boot manager. In boot manager, it only has a sequence for booting up (i.e., 1.fdd 2.hdd 3. etc.)

Ok then on the bios boot manager select HDD and after that start pressing F8 again several times.

caseyquiznos

caseyquiznos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks to everyone for the help. I finally got it working.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thanks to everyone for the help. I finally got it working.

By using chkdsk?